•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling my 2005 Aveo out of storage for the first time in 4 years this week

What's wrong with my car? outdoorsaddix's Avatar
      Thanks

Pulling my 2005 Aveo out of storage for the first time in 4 years this week

Hello! Long time lurker on another account that I always hated the name I chose for it. I am about to get a lot more active on these forums because my old daily driver is coming out of storage this week!

About 4 years ago I bought myself a 2011 Chevy Cruze after driving the Aveo (which I bought used in 2009) for a few years. I put the Aveo in outdoor storage on my Grandmother's property because I expected to put it back on the road as a second car for my Fiancee. Unfortunately it was not financially feasible to have the second car on the road until now so it sat for the past 4 years.

I tried to take as good care of it as possible while it was in storage, starting it every so often, driving it around a little in the small space it had and changing the oil a few times over the course of the 4 years.

I went down to start it up last week for the first time in a few months and although I had to jump it because the battery was now toast it fired right up and ran perfectly. I am going down tonight to install a new battery I bought, replace the ratty windshield wipers, check tire pressures and lubricate everything that got stiff. Thursday night we are getting plates and bringing it home.

I bought the car at about 60,000km and currently it sits at 129,000km. Over the course of my ownership I have done the following:

- Thermostat and housing
      - Alternator
      - Ball Joints
      - Brakes and rotors
      - Timing belt at 120,000km
      - Spark plug wires
      - One transmission fluid flush
      - Upgraded radio and rear speakers

I plan to change the oil when I get it home, replace the air filter, change the valve cover gasket because it is leaking and probably flush/change the transmission fluid again. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for maintenance on a vehicle that has sat for 4 years?

Oh and here is a picture of her pulled up to the top of the driveway last week once I freed her from the piles of snow at the bottom of the driveway.

Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  306.7 KB

One of the best things about pulling her out of storage now is there is finally a abundance of Aveo's in my local scrap yard whereas when I was driving the car they were scarce.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome back. The thing about spring time up North, everything looks like crap. It takes a while before real spring kicks in after the melting. Nice Neighborhood. I think you have covered everything. I would drive it easy for about a week to shake the bugs out.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Spent about an hour last night continuing to get it ready for the trip home. I installed a new battery, new battery hold downs (bolt snapped when I was taking the old battery out) and put the wheel covers back on, unfortunately when I was down near the tires I noticed this.

Name:  IMG_0371.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  289.7 KB

So looks like I am in for a new set of tires immediately now. All 4 have some degree of this kind of cracking.

Other than that, she is turned around and ready to go Thursday!

Name:  IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  310.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_0374.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  303.2 KB

Thanks
      Bummer news about the dry rot. Only one drive left to the tire store. Spring is getting closer

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Tires def need to be changed. I would check your brake fluid; that y]usually hold up to long term storage. I would do a brake flsuh just to be safe.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Congrats on running the 2nd car, for your now wife I guess. The car looks like it cleaned up nice. I agree on the brake fluid, in fact I'd change all the fluids as cheap insurance. For coolant, I'd run the car for a week or two keeping an eye on any leaks, then flush that as well. Just keep an eye out for any other dried gaskets or rubber lines. Your rotors may have seen better days sitting that long.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      Congrats on running the 2nd car, for your now wife I guess. The car looks like it cleaned up nice. I agree on the brake fluid, in fact I'd change all the fluids as cheap insurance. For coolant, I'd run the car for a week or two keeping an eye on any leaks, then flush that as well. Just keep an eye out for any other dried gaskets or rubber lines. Your rotors may have seen better days sitting that long.
      Well still Fiance till this summer actually, its been a looooong engagement. Yea, the rotors look a little rusty to say the least. I will see how they preform and probably take off the front wheels this weekend or next and see how everything looks in there.

Thanks
      So I figured I would do a quick update, the good news is she made it home just fine and we have been getting pretty reliable use out of her for a full week now. (including a 300km round trip drive to Orillia)

So far we have:

- Changed the oil
      - Replaced all 4 tires with new Hercules iMove tires
      - Cleaned up absolutely everything including the engine bay (I want to be 100% sure it has a valve cover leak and not just spilt oil before I order a new gasket)

However we have also noticed that it needs new Struts ASAP and we also decided to replace the spark plugs and air filter so we ordered new Struts, strut mounts and sway bar links from Prime Choice and a new air filter and spark plugs from Rock Auto. Everything arrived this week so we have a long day of work ahead tomorrow.

Here she is at home in my driveway

Name:  11091385_10155343197770184_388686369441184492_n.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  129.3 KB

And a picture of the struts we got (they were cheap at about $50 each but honestly they are so well built you could put Monroe stickers on them and I would be fooled)

Name:  10351104_10155361784325184_7989858298649393500_n.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  26.0 KB

Thanks
      I just went back to struts. The get off you will need 19mm 22mm and a 10mm wrenches and sockets.

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hi, sorry if I'm 'hijacking' this thread but I'm considering storing my Aveo and needed some advice. My situation is that I've had my Aveo for five years now in Thailand and I wondered what would happen if I left it for six months or a year.
      Could you give a checklist of things to do, or things that you did, please? I
      don't have a garage but my condominium has partially covered parking spaces underneath. People I've asked about storing cars suggested that rats or vermin could get into the air intake and I should cover this - did you do this? I see from your post that you were running the car every so often so maybe it wasn't necessary. To be frank, I don't even know where the air intake is - here's a shot of the engine bay, any pointers?
      Name:  20150416_104341.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  163.0 KB
      The other thing was putting the car up on jack stands to save the tires while keeping the suspension under compression, can anyone suggest at which point do you even position stands under the car?
      Name:  20150416_104113.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  130.8 KBName:  20150416_104123.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  131.1 KBName:  20150416_104242.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  118.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast