•  

Thread: Ontario Canada, Legal Car Upgrades???????????

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Ontario Canada, Legal Car Upgrades???????????

Auto enthusiasts for the most part love to personalize their vehicles. The aftermarket auto industry offers thousands of ways to make your vehicle uniquely yours. There are, however, certain upgrades meant for the strip or raceway. Law enforcement is cracking down on illegal upgrades and it’s costing consumers hundreds if not, thousands in fines. Don’t let aftermarket upgrades cost more than you bargained for!

Light it Up!
      Headlight covers that are too dark are illegal and can be confiscated. Your headlights are to serve a purpose not to be defeated for the sake of looks. Cosmetic covers for show are permitted within daylight hours. By law you are permitted to have red taillights and white and amber headlights. Undercarriage neon lighting is also illegal as well as license plate lights that are not white. The law states that the multitude of coloured lights on the outside of a vehicle is illegal due to distraction to other drivers.

Please be Seated
      Five point harness seatbelts and racing seats look great and if installed properly should be no problem – IF they’re installed properly. Seatbelt modifications are illegal if you reduce its effectiveness. Rendering a seatbelt partially or completely inoperable is also very much illegal. If you’re investing money into racing seats let a professional install them properly. Not only for your safety but also to avoid hefty fines on the road.

Just a Tint
      Window tint comes in many colours and shades, but legally must stay within a range of visibility and must maintain a clear view of the driver. Your front windshield should not be tinted. Reflection or “Limo” tint is also illegal on regular passenger vehicles, as it completely prohibits the view inside of a vehicle. Coloured tint, without restriction of vision or ability to identify a driver, is legal.

NOS (Not On the Street)
      Canadian Law considers Nitrous Oxide as hazardous material and driving with your Nitrous Tank connected on the street is strictly prohibited. Should you get caught driving with a connected NOS bottle you could be fined or your license suspended. The use of NOS has its place and time and it’s on the track.

Trade those Tires
      Racing tires come in a variety of widths, depths and tread styles. Racing tires should not be taken onto city streets because the lack of tread can cause danger to yourself and others on the road. Ministry of transportation law requires at least 31.5 millimeters of rubber between the wheel rim and the road.

Where’s the Remote?
      Televisions on the back of the driver or passenger seat intended for the entertainment of people in the back seat are legal and used regularly. However a monitor intended for a television that is visible to a driver while operating the vehicle is a major distraction and illegal. Breaking this law could cost at least $100!

Mufflers should “Muffle”
      If your muffler produces excess noise, it is illegal. According to Ontario traffic regulation “no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle”. When looking into an aftermarket exhaust, know the rules of the road. There are muffler companies that offer a (legal) accelerated rumble for less than the price of the fine you’d pay otherwise

Bottom line, there are still plenty of ways to make your vehicle your own while abiding to the Provincial traffic laws. Just because you can buy these parts, it doesn’t mean they can be used on the street. The time and money you spend making sure parts are legal and installed properly could save you a fortune “down the road”.

Source:
      http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Stat ... 0h08_e.htm

Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Ontario Canada, Legal Car Upgrades???????????

lol sounds like usa traffic laws, but why not crack down on DUIs and save some lives rather than compalining about the tires on my car

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

tires are the only piece of equipment on your car that actually touches the road, therefore they are the most important part.

No car can run without tires.

Thanks

lol i mean running slicks on the road, i hate it when cops will pull people over for that and make a big deal out of it, but yet people get killed in a DUI crash, o well

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      lol i mean running slicks on the road, i hate it when cops will pull people over for that and make a big deal out of it, but yet people get killed in a DUI crash, o well
      Slicks are nice until you hit a puddle at 60mph...
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

lol yeah, we only used them when it hasnt rained :P

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Running slicks on the street is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You can get drag radial tires that are street legal and perform great on the street and track.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Thanks

we crazy in florida

What do you mean there's no turbo? trempus's Avatar
      Thanks

plus when you're driving they don't know that you have slicks until you actually get pulled over, so mostlikely for something else

2004 chevy aveo---
      2006 chevy uplander

Thanks

nah you can tell on my friends mustang lol, though the cops like to harass me when my yard sale sign is too big :P :P :P

I freaking hated living in PA, the town i lived in was still dry, how the hell did that happen, its 2009 lol