•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Needing new tires

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The reason you would save gas with the 185/65 14 would be because you would be changing the effictive gear ratio. What the means it would be like changing the final drive ratio. Bigger tires lower gear ratio, more savings in fuel. shorter tires will raise the factory final drive ratio. On the highway is were you would see the savings with the taller tires. Light to light the shorter tires would be more effective. With the taller tires you would be changing the ride quality as well. A taller sidewall compared to stock will make the ride more comfy. I have looked at most tires as we need to change the rears. 98% are 30,000 mile tires just like stock. It is hard to find the factory tires with more than 30,000. I just bought a set of Japanese tires with a 65,000 mile tread life. One stipulation, I choose a taller set of rear tires. (I am an old hot rodder) The tires are 205/60/14. Yes they fit fine and with this selection the tires were more readily availabilty.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by JusteR View Post
      +1 on the KR-21's. I've got only 15,000 mi on mine so far so good... we'll see how things go this winter
      I have KR-21's on another car and I'm happy with them. I'll be needing tires for the Aveo soon and I plan to buy the KR-21's. It seems to be the best choice available.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I'm about to put 2 new fronts on... I've been finding deals on craigslist the last few times so I'm gonna stick try that again.

As far as a bigger tire getting more milage...remeber it's always a trade off. Save here- loose there..

A taller tire is better on the highway (less rpms) but worse in the city, harder to start rolling. If you do all highway a taller tire might have you see a benefit. If mostly city, a shorter tire might show a savings, but will ding you whenever your on the highway.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Thanks
      general altimax hp $61
      they're awesome tires, last for a while. handling is amazing with them. you cannot go wrong!!!
      -Paul

Thanks
      mind you there's a wee bit of me launching and chirpin into second
      -Paul

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      quick update on my KR-21's. Drove 18,000 miles in 6 months- that pair is down to 5/32nds already. Got my alignment straightened out better (was toed out 1/8 inch, gradually worked it in towards 1/32nd toe in + got the steering wheel straight) Bought my 2nd pair this month, so far so good, all ready for winter.

The nice thing about the KR21's is they have a notch down the center rib to help you align the old school way. I no longer work at a shop that has a [flashing lights machine] so I have resorted to doing checks with a tape measure and a couple of 6+6's, and rechecking every 500 miles or so when I get to half a tank. adjust gradually... I know I know-- how much is my time worth :P

Good saturday afternoon fun if you ask me. I found that 1/6 turn of the tie rod is about 1/32" or so toe. hope that helps someone later.

When I pick up my car and set it back down to do oil changes and the like, I found the numbers were shifted a few weeks later. Never more than 1/16th of an inch tho. I hope this isn't fortelling any bushing wear I may have. (what?? I have to measure to order energy bushings? Gaah!)

hope you found my late night rant entertaining. Cheers Aveo forum!

Thanks
      Hey, I need to buy new tires .. the Hankooks that came with my 2011 Aveo which I purchased March 2011 need to be replaced just shy of 26,000 miles.

Interesting that Goodyear no longer makes 14" tires? what? I was offered General ($379) vs Kumhos ($532).
      First and foremost I want tires that are dependable in city traffic in inclement conditions (i.e., rain/snow)
      (Firestone has a nice selection but I was declined their credit. Goodyear approved me. Go figure)

From reading here I'm thinking the Kumhos.

Would appreciate feedback ... soon. lol. The Goodyear store I'm working with needs to order the tires and I need to let him know today or tomorrow ...
      thank you!

What's wrong with my car? matttodd2009's Avatar
      Thanks
      go to onlinetire.com. you can get a set of 4 fir under 300

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I got Cooper's for about $310 with a $60 mail in rebate so about $250 all said and done.

Thanks
      I am running Uniroyal Tiger Paws 185-60-15 and paid $368 with a 70,000 mile warranty. They ride really well and so far so good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast