•  

Thread: needing some help with replacing thermostat housing and flushing cooling system

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

needing some help with replacing thermostat housing and flushing cooling system

hey all, I have a 2004 aveo hatchback i bought about a year and half ago with 70k miles, paid $5000 cash for it, I havent had any problems out of it. When i bought the car, the dealer said the timing belt had been changed around 55k miles, the car now has almost 90k miles and Im in the process of getting the timing belt changed, but another issue i want to deal with is the plastic thermostat housing. I ordered the aluminum one off of ebay and i just need some advice on how to change it exactly. I want to flush the radiator and cooling system, so would it be best to just drain the radiator and then change it, then proceed with the flush? I'm kinda confused on the whole process of a flush too, i really dont want to take it to the local speedy lube and have them do it...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      its easy i had 2 do it several times since i had a leak on the new metal thermostat.

ull need channel locks or plyers 2 pinch the 2 straps arond the big hose and small hose. on the bottom left of ur radiator theres a plastic screw that u can loosen from under the hood. not sure what size. try a ratchet its kinda tight down there. u remove the plastic bolt and the water will come out also remove the resavior cap.

question are u gettin a 2 piece thermostat? heres a pic for ref. i had 2 buy the ring, silicone, and thermostat. it all came seperate for some odd reason.

i had a 2 peice. i had to add this blue silicone 2 hold the 2 parts together along with holding it from leaking.

anyways remove the old install the new, i would put on the smaller hose 1st then the bigger 1 after. bolt them in. place plastic screw back after it drains and u flush it.

add anti freeze or water. i did anti freeze. place cap back on the resivior tank

shouldnt be to hard

Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06