•  

Thread: Looking at getting a timing belt replacement...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Looking at getting a timing belt replacement...

...plus the usual pulley, idler, water pump switch out. It's a 2004, dealer is telling me it's going to be $895, this seems pretty high compared to other prices I've seen for similar. Also, they told me I have a leak in the oil pan gasket (must be really small leak because I haven't noticed it), quoted me $560 for that repair. Is it me or is the local dealership charging way too much here? Anyone have a recent timing belt replacement done, what did it cost you? Thanks!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      dropping the oil pan requires the exhaust to be moved out of the way. So for a dealer to only charge $560 to do it is not far off.

Based on oem parts prices and a $105 labor rate both those repairs sound ok. If you want to pay full retail on oem parts and $105 labor.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      dropping the oil pan requires the exhaust to be moved out of the way. So for a dealer to only charge $560 to do it is not far off.

Based on oem parts prices and a $105 labor rate both those repairs sound ok. If you want to pay full retail on oem parts and $105 labor.
      LOL, I'd rather not? I'm at 55,000 miles, I know the timing belt needs to be done soon. I'm thinking I'm better off buying the Gates full timing kit online for $150ish and finding a mechanic that will install it for me. I'm going to ask my regular shop and a couple buddies and see what pops up. I just don't think I have what it takes to do it myself even with instructions. Thanks for the insight though!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Before resorting to a pan gasket replacement, first try tightening up the oil pan bolts. Although these gaskets shrink up over time, it doesn't mean they are even close to being shot. I check/tighten these bolts on multiple vehicles every couple years or so, and it's worked great so far on everything I take care of in the family. Use a criss-cross pattern and snug them up in stages. Best to use an inch torque wrench for the final pass (89" lbs). Don't overtighten if you don't have a torque wrench - better to come back another day and torque a bit more if it's still leaking.

Skip the dealerships and find good independent shops for all of your repairs. Better yet, DIY whatever you can. I recommend not buying the parts before going to a shop. Some guys don't like customers bringing in parts, especially something as potentially problematic as timing belt parts. They're on the hook if something in the belt loop breaks and trashes the engine, and they will want to haggle it out with their own supplier if that should happen.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Before resorting to a pan gasket replacement, first try tightening up the oil pan bolts. Although these gaskets shrink up over time, it doesn't mean they are even close to being shot. I check/tighten these bolts on multiple vehicles every couple years or so, and it's worked great so far on everything I take care of in the family. Use a criss-cross pattern and snug them up in stages. Best to use an inch torque wrench for the final pass (89" lbs). Don't overtighten if you don't have a torque wrench - better to come back another day and torque a bit more if it's still leaking.

Skip the dealerships and find good independent shops for all of your repairs. Better yet, DIY whatever you can. I recommend not buying the parts before going to a shop. Some guys don't like customers bring in parts, especially something as potentially problematic as timing belt parts. They're on the hook if something in the belt loop breaks and trashes the engine, and they will want to haggle it out with their own supplier if that should happen.
      Yes, check your pan bolts. As for parts and independent shops, our shop policy is if you supply the parts and we make an install error, we will warranty it. If the part fails, there is no warranty. Keep in mind that parts suppliers do not cover collateral damage as a rule, but if the shop supplies the part, they can often leverage the supplier to help out.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Go to RockAuto online, you can get a complete timing belt kit with water pump for less than $115. Also there is a lot of info on this forum on how to do it yourself. If you are handy, you CAN do it.