•  

Thread: Freon question

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Freon question

I have an 04 aveo. I need to recharge my air, is this something I should do ( the videos look easy enough) or should I just have it done by a professional? I have never added freon to my system so adding it should fix the problem but what if I have a leak, is there a way to tell if I have a leak? How much would it cost to have done?
      Thanks

BM

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      how do you know you need to recharge it? And if you have a leak the only way to tell is to do a dye test. For a shop to fill your refigerant, $150 or so.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I think I need to recharge it because the air was always working, now when air is on all I get is hot air, must be the freon right?

BM

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Do not assume it is low on charge. Its is r-134a not freon. You need to hook up a set of manifold gauges and check high and low side pressures. There can be many reasons the air is warm like a pressure switch, the radiator fan not coming on high, clogged condenser, blocked cabin air filter ect. Please do not just add refrigerant. You can overcharge the system and cause more damage.

To check for a leak inspect the hoses and the condenser for signs of abrasion or an oily film. I use a UV dye system to check for leaks. I inject a small amount of dye and run the system then use a UV light to inspect.

You can buy a set of manifold gauges at harbor freight or amazon for around $50. This will allow you to see both sides of the system.

I do a lot of AC work on the side, let me know if you have questions. I can help you once you get the proper gauges. Just an FYI though, AC tools can get expensive, so it might be cheaper to pay a shop. I have about $600 invested in just automotive ac tools.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if the system kicks on, and stays on (check the compressor clutch pulley and have someone hit the button on and off) the possiblity of topping it off is different than if it shuts down.

R-134a is more forgiving with pressure variance than r12 was. you can slightly over the charge as system to adjust how cool it gets without immediately causing harm. IF the system stays on, you will be able to give it a slight charge out of one of those cans with the fill button. But i would not add too much. I top off systems occasionally and rarely run into trouble, just watch the vents have the system on high and stop when its a comfortable cool and the gauge on the bottle is still in the safe range.

disclaimer. topping off your system will not fix a broken system or leaks, and if you do not need a charge added can cause further damage if there is another issue.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I use to top off my old truck every spring by using the low side charging gauge and hose from the auto parts store. Once I started doing more mechanical work on cars for friends and family so I decided to learn more about AC systems. I am by no means an expert but I have learned that low side gauges do not give you a good diagnoses. You really should be checking both high and low sides of the system. Check out some youtube videos from eric the car guy. I believe he has a few on AC basics.

Start with petrified.rabbit's advice and see if the the compressor is running. I normally hook up my gauges and look for pressure in the system. If the compressor starts but kicks off you maybe low on refrigerant. You will need to watch both sides of the system to see what is dropping first, high or low side. If high side drops first you are low on refrigerant.

If the compressor dose not come on at all and you have some pressure in the system, then try bypassing the low pressure switch and watch your gauges for high and low side pressure. If the pressure climbs up then drops off, then repeats you maybe very low on refrigerant. If the pressure climbs high on the high pressure side and cuts off you have a blockage or metering issue.

Remember the correct way to charge your car is by weight not pressure or temperature. Low side pressure gauges may get you cooling but the system will preform best when charged to the correct weight. Charging from a low pressure gauge is like an educated guess. It may get you close to the right answer but not always the best answer.

Many times AC not running issues have nothing to do with charge and are sensor or relay issues. Poor performance can be from clogged filters and coils, broken air blending doors or failed cooling fans. Good luck.

Thanks
      you are probably best off having a shop check this out

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      i guess i'd better go to the mechanic I know, I have had the car 10 years and put a lot of money into it, not sure if i want to spend more.

BM

Thanks
      well you also need to be certified to do AC work since this refigerant is highly toxic to the environment

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I am certified to do ac work, adding a few lbs of pressure is no where near adding an ounce of straight refrigerant. A FULL large can of the stuff you buy at the parts store is 16oz. Those small cans are 8. While 8oz is too much to add on your own, a few trigger squeezes is to see if you get cool air is ok. I do a 3 second trigger pull and then check. If by 4 trigger pulls you do not have a "working" system, STOP and seek help.