•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japan got pwned by Chevy!!!!!!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Japan got pwned by Chevy!!!!!!

Jeeze.

This thread made me think about my old gas guzzler I replaced to get my aveo (justifying the new car price with "it'll be so much more better on gas though")

My old gas guzzler had 0 payments, just a few parts here and there (nothing to expensive).

The only drawback was that the car only got 18 mpg. It was also more of a raw 'road racer' for the street. Not quiet. V8 loud exhaust, 4 speed. Fast as heck.. fun as heck to drive.

It was a Black and Gold 1979 Chevy Monza Spyder. It was only in need of a new radiator and an oil leak fix. (possibly rear main seal).

I just calculated that the gas money I saved with the Aveo will take me 11 years to break even, with the fuel costs on the black monza.

In 11 years, I could have added a overdrive to the spyder and got the gas mileage back up.

But, I have to say, that its just eaiser taking a chick out on a date in the Aveo than the raw and crazy Spyder.

And I still have a red spyder for sunday drives, so I guess I'll be ok.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

those figures are kind of imaginary.

if you have to 30yo car the numbers are supposed to start at the beginning, you would need to factor in your buying it, all the work you have done, and repairs.

as stated you really can't compare two cars across classes. unless you match up options. the chevy volt has alot of creature comforts that do not come standard on the aveo. that is part of the reason for the higher price tag. the drive train cost is about 1/3 the price increase of that car. it is more comparable to a 24k malibu or impala.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monzaveo
      Jeeze.

This thread made me think about my old gas guzzler I replaced to get my aveo (justifying the new car price with "it'll be so much more better on gas though")

My old gas guzzler had 0 payments, just a few parts here and there (nothing to expensive).

The only drawback was that the car only got 18 mpg. It was also more of a raw 'road racer' for the street. Not quiet. V8 loud exhaust, 4 speed. Fast as heck.. fun as heck to drive.

It was a Black and Gold 1979 Chevy Monza Spyder. It was only in need of a new radiator and an oil leak fix. (possibly rear main seal).

I just calculated that the gas money I saved with the Aveo will take me 11 years to break even, with the fuel costs on the black monza.

In 11 years, I could have added a overdrive to the spyder and got the gas mileage back up.

But, I have to say, that its just eaiser taking a chick out on a date in the Aveo than the raw and crazy Spyder.

lol, i love those spyders

haha that honda fag told me to screw myself on youtube, i love when people like that start **** with me lol i like to fight

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monzaveo
      Jeeze.

You got rid of a Monza for the Aveo? What is the world coming to.

You name makes more sense now lol.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      those figures are kind of imaginary.

if you have to 30yo car the numbers are supposed to start at the beginning, you would need to factor in your buying it, all the work you have done, and repairs.
      I dont really agree here. You already own the car (monza in this case). Now you go on owning the Monza, not making payments because it is already paid for and put gas in it and fix up things that break.

Getting rid of it to get an Aveo, you still had to pay for the Monza at some point in time. You cant factor in the car over the cost of the last 30 yrs when comparing it to buying a new car now because then you wouldnt have had a car for the last 30 yrs. Get what I am saying?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

using the formula posted above to figure out the long term break even point to compare the two from the beginning.

obviously going from a you already own with no payments puts an immediate economical debt against the new car.
      when comparing a new car to one you already own, the only way i can figure is if you spend the same a payment would be in repairs a month

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo

lol, i love those spyders

haha that honda fag told me to screw myself on youtube, i love when people like that start **** with me lol i like to fight
      Could you please not use that derogatory term here?
      Jim

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

To clarify why I chose a civic or Aveo for comparison is I do not think people are going to buy a 40K volt for creature comforts, heck I could get an small acura or lex for that same 40K, they are buying it for fuel economy, hence the choice of vehicles. On the note of creature comforts you keep mentioning, since it is summer, how does the A/C run on that 40 mile battery. Do you think you can get 230 mpg with A/C. How about night driving with lights etc., still on battery? After 40 miles, do you have to stop to recharge, or is the engine enough to power this vehicle?

Yes, the formula I used is very general and leaves out a lot of other factors, but it was meant to put the MPG into perspective. People get very excited at 200+ mpg figures

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      On the note of creature comforts you keep mentioning, since it is summer, how does the A/C run on that 40 mile battery. Do you think you can get 230 mpg with A/C. How about night driving with lights etc., still on battery? After 40 miles, do you have to stop to recharge, or is the engine enough to power this vehicle?
      those are very good points, i do have a question, maybe someone saw more factual info? i thought this car was 100% electric vehicle, but the gas engine was only used as a generator to recharge itself while driving? anyone hear / know for sure?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

lol i think eveyone missed my point that a honda boy was making fun of american cars and saying that GM will never make a car like the volt........................................but they will lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast