•  

Thread: I removed my throttle body to clean it and shouldn't have

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I removed my throttle body to clean it and shouldn't have

I removed my throttle body in my 2010 chevy aveo LT 1.6 4 cyl to clean the whole throttle body assembly. I might have damaged the throttle body because i try to open the electronic plastic cover and now it will not close tight with the metal tabs on it. I know now i done something wrong because after reinstalling the throttle body i got two codes p0122 and po223. The engine idles and shakes rough and i can hardly accel the pedal driving. I checked all my work and made sure connections were clean and tight but now the computer cannot understand the throttle body so i am getting these two throttle position sensor codes.

Should I just replace the throttle body? I think i damaged it because with an electronic throttle body you cannot open the throttle plate and pry open the plastic cover. Someone from A GM Dealer told me i had a throttle position sensor but i do not because it's built in.

If I do replace the throttle body, can you tell me what relearn i can do after it's replace. i would appreciate it because I was about to buy a new throttle body thinking i damage it. I looked all over google and there are relearns but i hope i don't need an expensive scan tool to relearn the throttle body. I do have a scanner to reset the codes. I try to reset codes but that didn't do anything. I hope someone can help me. I know i shouldn't have taken it apart. The vehicle was running fine before but i wanted to clean it and now i cannot even drive it.

Last edited by 10GoodAveo; 10-23-2021 at 03:46 AM.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Second post down on this thread

https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108...cedures-16863/

try this before replacing the throttle body. It may work
      Last edited by Eg.h2o; 10-23-2021 at 04:13 AM.

edk
      Thanks
      I have gotten the same codes on my ‘09’. It was a split in the rubber boot from the throttle body to the intake. I think you’ll find that those codes indicate a lean burn condition and is caused by air leaking into the system past the mass air flow sensor. Try checking for leaks before replacing the throttle body
      Last edited by edk; 11-10-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Additional

Thanks
      Definitely look for vacuum leaks first... I found the bottom of the intake tube split and leaking on mine. New tube fixed it with no need to relearn.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      my first guess wud be MAF sensor, mass air flow sensor, tells cpu to control fuel/air ratio mix , TPS throttle position sensor also to control fuel ratio for injector to keep up flow, to restrict or increase fuel, this is accomplished by means of tiny bare wire runs across opening of throttle body, it heats up as air travels across it cools , as throttle position increases or decreases , wire gets hotter or cooler , either increase/decrease air flow needed to cool wire to maintain ambient air temperature, wire is broke or sensor got wet , defective, damaged, not getting correct voltage or bad ground wire connection