•  

Thread: Common Aveo issues?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Common Aveo issues?

Over the last few months my family has acquired 4 Aveos (2004-2006) and I get to keep them all running. I have discovered that seemingly all Aveos need the plastic thermostat housing replaced with a metal one, a valve cover seal replacement, plugs, wires, and the automatics need shift lock solenoids. Now that I've done all that, what else should I watch out/plan for? Any other super common issues? Or stuff I should just deal with now instead of on the side of the highway later?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      There is a possible wiring issue where the dash lights and one of the headlights would go off. It has to do with a burnt plug in the engine fuse box. My 05 had this issue but was a quick fix by removing the white burnt plug and reattaching the wires.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Seals and gaskets seam extra cheap on these cars. Rear bushings (replace with the VW, not the whole GM assembly), both my crank seal's have leaked (on my '04 and '10). Luckily my 2010 should be covered under powertrain warranty.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Timing belts is #1 because of the major repair that almost always results when one of those components goes South. IMO it's shortsighted to do just the belt if you're DIY, so the full job also includes 2 pullys and the water pump. The '04 in particular had a run of early failures, so it's highly unlikely that an '04 would not have had this job done, one way or the other.
      I recently replace the muffler on my '05, due to rusting of the pipe connecting to the mid pipe. The entire system is rusting, so I'm expecting other pieces to go as well. Take a look at the rear driver-side wheel well at the muffler/mid-pipe connector, to get an idea how yours are doing.
      A couple weeks ago one rear shock failed, so I replaced both of those - front struts to be done soon, but those are just normal wear items. Oil pressure sensors seem to be common items to fail, but I haven't seen that yet on either of mine.
      Search the archives here because there's lots of good prior information, much of it from folks who are no longer active on the forum.
      You might have to quit your job in order to be able to maintain 4 older Aveos - good luck with it!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Thanks all! Just ordered full timing belt kits, water pumps, and a DOHC lock from Rockauto. Comes out to less than $100 per car. Looks like a full day job, at least for the first one. I forgot that I had already replaced the air intake hose on 3 on all but my wife's. Its probably gona get a cheapo "performance" pod filter and metal intake tube because the air cleaner box is broken. 1 got shocks and struts yesterday, another is in line for them this week, the other 2 must have been done as they seem fine. Been reading through the old forum posts and it sounds like all the basics are covered, so I will just need to repair as needed. If you think 4 will be a bit much to keep up with, then I gotta tell ya the rest! I also maintain the 2 Aspires, the Chevy Metro, the 92 C150, the Rav4 (witch cost a fortune but never needs anything), and I have a project 82 Camaro! And the wife doesn't understand why I can't keep the garage floor clean. Its a big family and shops cost too damn much!