•  
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Chevy Sonic" to replace Aveo name? "Chevrolet Sonic" trademark applied for by GM

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      cobalt was american made.. in ohio. I don't even know if it was a global seller. The cruze seems to have replaced to chevy epica? from what i could tell, not sure though, it might be a new member of the lineup itself, since the cruze has been for sale overseas for a while now..

the american made aveo, is supposed to be solely made here for the global market. If its not as well built as the korean version the rest of the world will notice. And sales will drop..

I'll keep it and add a turbo h3llfir3's Avatar
      Thanks
      but is the cobalt dead? like when did cobalt stop?

and isnt the cruze the replacement for cobalt?

also, how will the people around the rest of the world know if the american aveo is worse built or not? lol they wont have that aveo in the rest of the world.. or should i say sonic... lol

also, the model is still the same (the sonic and the aveo in the rest of the world), so basically the sonic is an aveo because aveo is the bigger name. sonic is only in north america and mexico where as the aveo is in the rest of the world.. am i right or no?
      Last edited by h3llfir3; 12-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the cobalt is dead, and the cruze has replaced it in the us.. but globally the cruze replaced/opened a different market.

the rest of the world will compare it to other cars just now offered in out market. Even though it will still be called aveo its build quality will be scrutinized by the car reviewers in europe etc because of the american build, and the car will probably not sell well is asia since it is not longer produced there (some countries still support their own, write tax codes to benefit people buying their own countries products etc..) Volkswagen just got a lot of flack about building an americanized mexican jetta.. lower quality, less high end feel etc, built here to bring the price down for profit due to the low us dollar.

Thanks
      so your saying aveo will die and sonic will take over?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well aveo = sonic, but the name will die in north america, i think gm is going to try to act like its not a korean designed car and its going to bite them in the ass. thats just me, unlike a lot of people here, i am not a GM fan, nor an "american" car only type. I look at the best for the money. I was a vw/audi person but they've priced themselves out of their own market imho.. the "sonic" is going to cost more than the aveo, and the "only" good thing aveo had going for it to the general public is its the cheapest car in america. If you price it up to where the spark is going to be.. your competing with the fit, versa etc on price now as well. There is thread after thread about how if i could afford ______ i wouldnt have gotten the aveo, but now that i have and aveo i love it. If you take affordability out of the appeal, i think it will "flop" unless they do something to make it more appealing. but 140hp and what they have planned (that i have seen here and outside) they are not doing it.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      should just call it the cruze5 lol

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i think their biggest mistake is releasing the aveo ss at car shows, if they were renaming it they should have introduced the sonic ss in the states THEN tell the rest of the world it will be available to them as the next gen aveo.. that would have at least be enough to try to cover up the fact its an american built daewoo.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      After reading some links and such i'm seeing some contradiction in the US built car promises:

2011 Chevrolet Aveo finally goes into production | Indian Autos blog

i thought i heard/read all the cars are going to be us build? (hence the idiotic name change debate) but if gm in the US is only making sonics, and then daewoo is still making the new aveo...

but whats the point of the michigan plant? pulling the wool over the americans eyes post bail out? is there an expected higher demand for the car in NA?

if this is accurate, it sounds like europe and well, everyone else is going to get a better new aveo at a better price than the US (and canada?)

Thanks
      I understood that Daewoo was continuing to build Aveo for overseas markets. GM doesn't have the capacity at Orion to build all the world's Aveos (assuming it sells as well in Europe as the current generation has).

I hate to admit, I'd be wary of build quality with the US made car, particularly since the workers who assemble it are going to be making about HALF the wage ($14) of other GM assembly workers. This 2-tier pay cut was a specific deal the company & union made to get the Aveo ... I mean Sonic built in the U.S. The company insisted it couldn't build a profitable subcompact in the U.S. because of wages.

And if you read the comments on the Orion facility Facebook page, there are a lot of angry union workers out there.

The last subcompact any of the "big 3" built in the US/Canada was the Metro at the joint Suzuki/GM plant in Ontario.

Thanks
      hopefully this whole sonic idea gets scrapped.. and they keep making only aveos (no sonics)... i like the name aveo much better than sonic

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast