•  

Thread: Nowhere Noise.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question Nowhere Noise.

Well, hello.

I'm new at the forum, as I was a regular visitor I decided to make an account.

I have a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo Family, it has a 1.5l engine, and I am having a trouble with it.

I replaced its clutch on January 2013, when it had 20.700 kilometers on odometer. I had to replace it due 'bad driving' (don't know how to traslate it to english), as a novice drove it some kilometers and used to press the clutch pedal to drive slow on traffic.

I couldn't drive it to a Chevrolet dealer to fix it (they were charging me with $600 to fix it), so I went to a local mechanic. He told me the clutch disc was almost gone, as it was worn out in about 75%, so I told him to replace it. I went and bought a clutch kit and he did the rest.

It took him 10 hours to fix my car, and in those 10 hours he "cleaned" the gearbox, and did some other stuff...everything was ok. When he finished I paid him ($65) and drove a couple streets and the speedo wasn't working so I drove back to his workshop where he connected the cable. Then I drove home and felt the clutch pedal so "soft", it was great. He gave me a warning: "Don't press and release clutch fast, be careful these 2 months". So I did.

I didn't drive my car from January to May, and when I drove it again something started going wrong, a noise. I like to drive my engine from 4000 to 6500RPM, and when I drove it over 4500 I noticed something was wrong, there was something like a "ring" making a noise but I couldn't find where it came from. I didn't pay attention to it until four months ago, as it's come worse than before. Now I hear like two pieces of metal hitting each other when I drive on damaged roads (where there are holes, etc) or when I drive over speeders (those little things put on the road to make us reduce speed). So I tried to find where it came from, I replaced a small rubber thing from the suspension (bushings), and problem persisted. Then I hit my car with a small rock and had an oil leak from the gearbox, so I fixed it. But problem was still there, so I thought it was the "crankcase protector" (a big metal thing which protects it), and problem was still there. Tried almost everything I could do by myself.

I noticed that when I press clutch pedal and drive over a hole I can feel on my foot those "pieces of metal hitting each other", so I thought a clutch part is loose. I don't know what else, the gearbox?, the clutch?, the engine?, an axle?, what could be the problem?.

I recorded a video, and you may notice a noise which is not normal, like a "ring" or pieces of metal hitting...well, hope you understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYeU3IZ3nFw

When I drive...:
      60-90kph 0:04-0:08s
      110-130kph 0:11-0:16s
      100-140kph 0:25-0:32s

CAR:
      2010 Chevrolet Aveo Family (Colombian and Ecuatorian version similar to '04 US Aveo)
      E-TEC II 1.5 SOHC 8 valve, 86HP.
      26.518kms.

Please help.
      Sorry for my bad english, my small mistakes and those unknown terms I'm using.

Thanks.

(PS: Do you know about Daewoo gearboxes serials?, want to know if they changed my gearbox.)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Most likely your clutch release bearing or pressure plate

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      The release bearing would interfere with shifting. It sounds like it's shifting fine. Maybe pressure plate.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I do not know if the Aveo has a Pilot Bearing, my Ford with a manual transmission has it. A mechanic installed a new clutch but it was making a lot of noise after the installation, then another guy took it apart and found out that the previous mechanic did not replace the Pilot Bearing.
      Last edited by itratis; 03-23-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by itratis View Post
      I do not know if the Aveo has a Pilot Bearing, my Ford with a manual transmission has it. A mechanic installed a new clutch but it was making a lot of noise after the installation, then another guy took it apart and found out that the previous mechanic did not replace the Pilot Bearing.
      Oh this happen to me too. Ford Ranger. I pulled the transmission after a factory fix to replace the cheap hydraulic cylinder to find my pilot bearing come out like BBs (roller bearing).

What's wrong with my car? jimbomac1961's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'm not sure if driving your car at 4000 - 6500 rpm is such a great idea. The engines in these Aveos are far from performance engines. I have a 2009 Aveo5 with the manuel trans. I rarely allow the rpms to drift above 3500 rpms. I believe if you run your engine at 94000 to 6500 rpms you are going to begin to hear more than a ringing noise. Your engine is telling you to back those rpms way down. I believe if you treat your car well, it will treat you well.

Thanks
      Let us know what the dealer finds. Hopefully they save parts and can show you.

Thanks
      That is a long list of broken parts. Looks like replace as much as you can while apart and maybe you will fix your noise. Then again, all those will cause noise. Was your car in a wreck?