•  

Thread: Engine Light On and HOLD light flashing

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine Light On and HOLD light flashing

Ok Aveo Avengers,

after reading all the posts relating to the Check Engine Light On and HOLD light flashing problem, I have the following questions.

First, mechanic replaced spark plugs, coils/coil pack, air filter and CAM sensor. He told me the code that he saw but he really didn't sound too confident about what was causing the problem. So, I authorized to change out the spark plugs, coils/coil pack, air filter and CAM sensor hoping that I would be lucky. about a couple miles from home, the problem happened: the Check Engine light came on and the HOLD light started flashing.

So, questions:
      1. noticed that the spark plug wires are pulled taunt and also may be generic kind. mechanic was probably trying to save me money. anyway, i vaguely remember the mechanic where i used to live tell me that the plugs and the wires had to be good quality...i think i read someone mentioning bosch. Should the plugs and wires be of the Bosch quality?

2. how easy is it to change the Body Throttle and where is it on a 2006 model?

3. how much will the dealer charge to fix if it is just the plugs, wires, body throttle and air intake hose/duct?

thank you for your time!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

HOLD light flashing still

well, time for an update to this saga that has yet to end happily.

the Check Engine light still is on and the HOLD light start flashing after a misfire.

(answer my 3rd question, sort of) well, i took it to the dealer and that was not a happy experience. they charged me $2000 to change the ECM and TCM and told me that it was taken care of. well, a mile or so down the road, the Check Engine Light came on and the HOLD light started flashing. I promptly called them back the following morning and of course, they told me to bring it in. they said that they could not duplicate the problem after driving it several times. small gratitudes, they did correct the spark plug wire tauntness.

well, i mentioned to them the body throttle and perhaps the air intake duct and they said, oh, they look good.

(and now for question 2) AND, there is where i got upset a month or so later. (rhetorical question) are there any mechanics that actually look at the engine anymore? or do they all rely on freaking computer codes? i ask this because if they would have REALLY looked at the air intake and throttle body, they would have seen that ONE! the air intake hose was barely hanging on by a couple of wires. and when i replaced the throttle body and looked inside i saw a bunch of gunk. (yes, i took upon myself to change them after watching a couple of youtube videos.) so, i thought, great! at least i know that these parts did need replacing and i am sure that that will take care of my problem.

but no. it couldn't have been that easy. but now i'm thinking: who knows how long the air duct has been torn and so the engine has been sucking in all the bad air and humidity?!

so, new questions:
      1. how does the engine get cleaned after sucking in dirt and grime and humidity?
      2. do the ECM and TCM need adjusting now that the air intake duct and the throttle body has been replaced?

oh, one more thing. i notice that the problem surfaces more when the environment's (local weather) temperature is over 60 degrees. and this i am dreading because i live in florida and well, it gets hot down here.

so any help with these questions or other recommendations are gratefully appreciated.

thank you!