•  

Thread: Wobble in Tire - Front end issue

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Wobble in Tire - Front end issue

I have a 2009 Swift+ (aka Aveo). I notices some vibration in my steering wheel while on the highway and a slight wobble while in the city. I jacked up the car and noticed that I can move the front passenger wheel if I grab from the front and back. Typically this would be a symptom of a bad bearing but I don't hear any noise on the highway. The tie rod ends also seemed pretty sturdy.

I'm unfamiliar with the front end of the Aveo. What else would cause this issue? Do the wheel bearings fail silently on these cars? Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have a diagram of the front end? It appears that I'm unable to buy a repair manual for this car. Not sure why, I see them everywhere.

Thanks,

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      yeah you can't buy a manual.

Here is a pretty picture.
      Name:  front stearing part 1.jpg
Views: 7036
Size:  136.4 KB

I would check at the top and make sure the shock has not loosen at the tower.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the diagram.

There's one nut at the top of the strut tower and it appears to be tight.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      It would seem highly unlikely for a wheel bearing to fail with no noise. I had noise for over a year before I replaced mine.
      One really obvious question - are the lugs torqued properly? Assuming so, remove the tire so that you can shake the rotor/hub. You'll get a different perspective and also a much better view of the suspension/steering components with the tire out of the way. It might even be better if you have a helper shake/move the rotor while you move around underneath looking things over. Of course, use jackstands!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      It would seem highly unlikely for a wheel bearing to fail with no noise. I had noise for over a year before I replaced mine.
      One really obvious question - are the lugs torqued properly? Assuming so, remove the tire so that you can shake the rotor/hub. You'll get a different perspective and also a much better view of the suspension/steering components with the tire out of the way. It might even be better if you have a helper shake/move the rotor while you move around underneath looking things over. Of course, use jackstands!
      True about the lug nuts. It could also be a slightly bent wheel or a bad tire. To check this I'd first do what is easiest. Rotate both front wheels to the rear and see if the problem goes away.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The lug nuts were fine. I had the wheel off yesterday and put the tire back on myself. Problem was still there this morning. When I had the tire off, there was some wiggle when doing the same test with the rotor (but was less noticeable because it's much smaller than the tire). I think I need to get under there to see what's moving. Maybe the strut mount at the bottom is loose?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
      ... Maybe the strut mount at the bottom is loose?
      Factory-torqued bolts rarely just loosen up on their own, but of course anything is possible. So sure, you can put a wrench on all of the suspension/steering bolts to see if any of them are loose. And you might also consider removing the caliper and rotor, and then attaching a piece of 2x4 to the hub with a couple lugs. Doing that will give you more than enough leverage to flush out exactly where the movement is coming from. Ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and LCA bushings are other common wear items that you want to be checking. I've replaced all of them, and struts as well, over time on our Aveos.