•  

Thread: front strut issue

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Lightbulb front strut issue

Everytime I hit a crack in road big or small it hits hard on front n back. If you jack up one side with wheel off ground u can move the strut n wheel is that normal? Dats wat Chevrolet mechanic trying to convince me there's nothing wrong with my car? It also makes creeking noises wen u turn corner or drive up an incline. Need more insite and advice I'm not takin der answer no way. Dey supposely replaced skocks n struts but car still sounds n rides same.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      It is most likely worn mounts in the front. Many shops just reuse them even when you put in new struts, so the problem does not go away. The aveo has a floating suspension, so if you jack it up there can be some movement, but you need to see where the movement comes from, and there should be limited movement. which will disappear once the weight is returned to the suspension. The creaking is most likely the sway bar, whether endlinks or the bushings needing greased.

In the rear is could be the bushings for the rear beam. But the rear has more traditional suspension, what is "sound" you hear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-06-2018)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by urdreamlady View Post
      It also makes creeking noises wen u turn corner or drive up an incline.
      i had the same problem, front suspension arms were broken. chevy replaced under warranty but now my cambers are bent and the chevy dealer is trying to sell it off as an alignment issue. fight with them, take it back every single day til it is fixed right. make it seem like you have nothing better to do then bug them to fix it. they'll either eventually get tired of you or they'll hire someone competent enough to actually test drive the vehicle long enough to hear the noise. also, one thing they offer out here is to have a mechanic go on a ride along. that would be something else to try.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      It is most likely worn mounts in the front. Many shops just reuse them even when you put in new struts, so the problem does not go away. The aveo has a floating suspension, so if you jack it up there can be some movement, but you need to see where the movement comes from, and there should be limited movement. which will disappear once the weight is returned to the suspension. The creaking is most likely the sway bar, whether endlinks or the bushings needing greased.

In the rear is could be the bushings for the rear beam. But the rear has more traditional suspension, what is "sound" you hear.
      SO is this what is 'wrong with my Aveo? Nothing?! Or it is just as i was asking,...'replace the top of the mounts'? And thats it? It doesnt mean the ENTIRE strut assembly's are bad. As I said, it drives just fine. but it was up on 'the rack' you know, 'the rack' that every garage has, the entire car up in the air, when this guy wiggled my left front tire, and it moved a tiny bit. And said, the entire strut is 'busted'. His technical term. Then he put it on the ground, and would go forward a few inches, slam on the brakes and the car would 'lurch forward an inch',if that. He said 'cars don't do that'... SO since i am getting no answers yet to MY post, plenty of looks but no answers. Is MY front Suspension 'floating' like it should be? And it just maybe needs the top bushing/metal plates replaced, like I asked?? What does it mean to have a 'floating suspension'?? So i dont sound like a dope tomorrow morning. PLEASE, someone answer my initial question, and or this one.

It is still pulling HARD to the LEFT, but Tires Plus said that was because of the 'bad struts'. It wasn't pulling to the left yesterday, before they replaced my front tires, and supposedly did a front end alignment. So...is it just these top mount parts that need to be replaced? Did they screw up something and are trying to get out of it now?

Or are my struts shot, at 41K miles?? OR the top parts shot...thats ok, i could believe that, a cheap/easy fix. The top of the struts move about 1/4in with the car in the air, and they move the front tire with their hands. What is this floating suspension,so i can explain it to the mech. in the morning. Do i EVEN have a suspension issue??