•  

Thread: Where to start troubleshooting mult codes

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Where to start troubleshooting mult codes

Trying to be the good brother-in-law and troubleshoot a 2006 aveo (no idea on mileage). Symptoms are: idles fine, but under acceleration runs rough and/or dies;

Codes I’m getting

P0107 MAP (got one on order)
      P161b Control module torque performance
      P2106 Throttle actuator control (TAC) system performance
      P2110 Throttle actuator control (TAC) system - Forced limited engine speed
      P2282 Air Leak Between Throttle Body and Intake Valves

Assuming most of these are a domino effect – but wondering if I should start at the throttle position sensor - or should I be looking at the complete throttle assembly – or somewhere else?

Thanks, Michael

Thanks
      59 views and no suggestions yet?

Lots of people having similar problems?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      If I'm understanding this correctly, the P0107 was the first code, and you have already decided to replace the MAP sensor. If that's correct, why would you be asking for any other input at this point, because you would want to install the MAP and evaluate where it stands after that job is done. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
      I'm just under the assumption that the MAP would not cause any additional TAC "type" codes. Again - not my car so trying to troubleshoot/fix remotely.

Someone else out here just mentioned getting 2106 & 2110 and having to have the throttle body replaced - just trying to determine if that's the next step in advance or if it really could be another $40 sensor.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      based on the codes/prior experiences, the throttle body just needs cleaned, imho.

Thanks
      I had the same problem. Here's what I found and here is how I fixed mine. Don't know if it will work for others but worth checking and if necessary easy to fix. My 2007 Aveo threw all the same codes as first poster except P0107. Doing research online it looks like this is a very common problem. Car would not accelerate over about 15 mph and at stop in drive with brake on car would idle rough occasionally dying. My interpretation of codes is MAP not reading vacuum correctly or vacuum leak. I assumed bad MAP so went to see how hard to replace. While looking at MAP noticed vacuum connection between MAP and manifold was hard plastic line with rubber connectors at each end. Looked OK but when I flexed rubber end near manifold huge crack became apparent. When I pulled rubber end off manifold it crumbled. MAP end did same thing. My opinion they don't stand heat well and are prone to failure. Replaced with common vacuum line and no more codes,no more problems. No issues since. BTW if hose from PCV goes in air hose in front of TBI instead of in manifold behind TBI like mine, it and the air hose will have to be cleaned periodically. Sometimes gunk can cause these codes.
      Last edited by raynphx; 01-18-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by raynphx View Post
      I had the same problem. Here's what I found and here is how I fixed mine. Don't know if it will work for others but worth checking and if necessary easy to fix. My 2007 Aveo threw all the same codes as first poster except P0107. Doing research online it looks like this is a very common problem. Car would not accelerate over about 15 mph and at stop in drive with brake on car would idle rough occasionally dying. My interpretation of codes is MAP not reading vacuum correctly or vacuum leak. I assumed bad MAP so went to see how hard to replace. While looking at MAP noticed vacuum connection between MAP and manifold was hard plastic line with rubber connectors at each end. Looked OK but when I flexed rubber end near manifold huge crack became apparent. When I pulled rubber end off manifold it crumbled. MAP end did same thing. My opinion they don't stand heat well and are prone to failure. Replaced with common vacuum line and no more codes,no more problems. No issues since. BTW if hose from PCV goes in air hose in front of TBI instead of in manifold behind TBI like mine, it and the air hose will have to be cleaned periodically. Sometimes gunk can cause these codes.
      I just checked this on my '05, and both rubber ends seem to still be solidly intact and pliable. And it's been a long time since I had a hose of any type crack - I think they're building them better than they used to be. But perhaps extended high and dry ambient heat , as you have in Pheonix, might still do them in early. Have you had other rubber or composite hoses fail in the past?
      But regardless of that, thanks for posting your findings - I'm sure that others will benefit from this information.

Thanks
      ok I am having same issues. started with a bunch of codes, (can't remember which) but pointed to ignition coil, also replaced plugs and wires. replaced....same problems. idles terrible no response from accelerator. codes showed 2106 and 2110 codes. replaced throttle body and air intake hose. 2106 and 2110 left but then 0107 popped up and still have same symptoms. replaced map sensor and hose no changes. I could smell gas as well when trying to run so replaced fuel pump next and still no change.

Thanks
      sorry to hijack your thread but at my wits end here. lol almost went zombieland on car last night.

Thanks
      Did you ever fix your issue?