•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHAT TO DO

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: WHAT TO DO

Quote Originally Posted by subachad
      Replace plugs and wires first, get them at the Autozone that pulled the code. Reset ECU, drive for a week and see if it stays off.
      Yes replace your plugs, you might have a cracked one and check your connections on your plug wires.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

lol my aveo misfired when i put my intake on at first, but its ran better than ever afterwards

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I'm having similar issues with our 05 sedan. I had the plugs and wires changed and the mechanic also checked da codes and the codes: P0496 (Evaporative emission system - high purge flow), P0106 (MAP/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem), P0300 (Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected), and P0122 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input) are now showing.

aveoindanati - I hope you don't mind me piggy-backin on your thread, but I need HELP like YESTERDAY!! I am trying to get our car inspected for registration (TX) and as is now it won't pass and I would waste $30.

Would I need to replace the MAP sensor or TPS? Also, is the mist on the coil pack recommended, as well, for the misfire problem? I replaced my air filter with a performance cone using the stock piping, but the car misfired before I did that, so, what do I do? We've got 70+k on the motor/car.

Thanks for any assistance.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

did you have him clear the codes? did they come back? if there is an "adjustment" period following the swap, that would be the three things i suspect would come up..

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      did you have him clear the codes? did they come back? if there is an "adjustment" period following the swap, that would be the three things i suspect would come up..
      If this is referring to my post, yes, the codes were cleared by autozone for me and then they came back after a few days. I also just went to have the car inspected and the above codes are what appeared n now the car has shut off on my wife and myself (once each) just yesterday. I feel that the car is on it's last leg and can't let it totally die, just yet. So, I'm in need of major assistance in the diy category (lack of major mechanic fee funds). So, rabbit, what could I or should I do first?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

well two of the codes you have are directly related to the throttle body. the third (map) is in the intake system as well, but its reading is "compared" to the throttle body and o2 for engine load, if the engine can't determine the engine load, it will misadjust fuel and cause misfires.

i suggest you start with the throttle body, clean it, replace it. Whatever you are comfortable with.

The high flow on the purge could of could not be directly related to the throttle im going with directly because it only opens at certain rpms or engine loads, if the tps says your at 1500, but your throttle is open to 3500, then when the solenoid opens there will be too much flow, like the code BUT it could also be a faulty solenoid and open too often, or all the time. But since you have a tps code And a map code, i am betting its functioning just not being told when to open properly.

the misfires are because of the other three.

keep in mind though, i havent seen the car, it could be something different or more obvious, but following the codes, that is what i would do.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I will start with cleaning the TB and go from there, thanks a bunch and I'll keep you posted. It's just getting frustrating not knowing much about cars and the link for the repair man doesn't answer all the questions. Take care and talk with you soon.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Repair man?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Sorry, repair manual, but we decided to get rid of the car this weekend, so I won't try to fix it, but I really do appreciate the assistance n all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12