•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT TO DO

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

WHAT TO DO

so my check engine light came on and was blinking and my car had nearly no power. for an auto it felt like a manual when they bout to stall out. took it to autozone to have them read the codes for me its a free service note to all who dont know that. they said that one code was that it could be the throttle response sensor or two other ones and the other code was about misfiring. the guy said it was more than likely the coil pac. any ideas on what route to go to fix this could it just need plugs and wires or where to even find a decent coil pac. please let me know thoughts on the issue and best way to resolve my problem.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: WHAT TO DO

the blinking light usually indicates a current misfire.. without more information you will probably be chasing this with parts.

are you mechanically inclined? start the car let it idle, and then mist (with a spray bottle) water onto the coil pack and wires.. if they are failing you will see sparks. this is great fun to do at night.

i would say the wires are more likely to fail anyhow, ad depending on your mileage your due for wires and plugs anyhow. and that might fix the problem.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

my car has almost 50000 miles on it it is a 2006 and my warranty expired in april. i changed the plugs about 18 months ago and i put in bosche platinums however i did not change the wires. what is a good brand to go with.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i think there was a conclusion it is not good to use bosch platinums? i would have stuck with OEM replacements myself. but the members here seem to have been experimenting with different plugs with some luck.

I am also not sure what brand wires to recommend either. i would never buy the cheapest available, but i don't want to tell you a specific brand. Again though the members here have had some luck with performance wires.

i would mist everything myself, and plan on doing the plugs too..

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveoindanati
      my car has almost 50000 miles on it it is a 2006 and my warranty expired in april. i changed the plugs about 18 months ago and i put in bosche platinums however i did not change the wires. what is a good brand to go with.
      Magnacore wires and NGK plugs. Oh, I forgot to mention earlier, DO NOT order these items from user xtreme2...you will not see them for months, Idk about you but I need my car yesterday not whenever he feels like ordering the parts.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveoindanati
      so my check engine light came on and was blinking and my car had nearly no power. for an auto it felt like a manual when they bout to stall out. took it to autozone to have them read the codes for me its a free service note to all who dont know that. they said that one code was that it could be the throttle response sensor or two other ones and the other code was about misfiring. the guy said it was more than likely the coil pac. any ideas on what route to go to fix this could it just need plugs and wires or where to even find a decent coil pac. please let me know thoughts on the issue and best way to resolve my problem.
      Probably your throttle positioning sensor.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

i used to work at autozone, you can get all those parts from them i'm sure. or murrays
      08 Hatchback

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman AK907

Probably your throttle positioning sensor.
      his car is drive by wire so that would be the gas pedal. and i am not speaking from AVEO experience, but on a lot of cars if there is a current misfire (flashing CEL) and you try to give it more gas(accelerate) while the O2 is cutting fuel, it will throw a TPS code. But you are right, it still could be this, but i am going off of the known problems i have seen on here.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Replace plugs and wires first, get them at the Autozone that pulled the code. Reset ECU, drive for a week and see if it stays off.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

A set of performance cable are abt $80US only. I just changed mine. Seems like fuel milege improved also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast