•  
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Replacement!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Timing Belt Replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      what was your mileage?
      Pretty close to 94,000km, I think that's just under 60,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by johnygogo
      Right on Byron84! Happy to hear everything went well for you. Did you have any problems removing the back plate to get the water pump off?
      Not especially. I was very fortunate to have my father's many years experience and plentiful tools, and another mechanically inclined friend with me.

I even had the weather on my side, wasn't too hot or humid and the bugs weren't out. In total I still spent about $230 of parts, but I'm sure I saved at least $500-600 compared to taking the car to the dealership for all of that.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful posts and pics of the walk through. I just replaced mine and fired up on the first try. I held the cams in place with something that I think you all will get a kick out of and inspired me to write the next MasterCard priceless commercial. I'm going to see if I can add the pix if I can't get it to go on here I will just add them to my profile. My inspirational MasterCard commercial is below. Thanks again.

Timing belt $50

Serpentine belt $21

Serpentine belt tool $30

4 Zip ties .60 cents

Not having to wait for yet another specialty tool to arrive in the mail and getting your project that you already started done!!!

PRICELESS!!!

Thanks

Haha, if it works, it works eh? Nice job.

Thanks

yep thanks for the comment.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Fantastic thinking!!! Thats a great idea, may I add it to my belt change blog?

Thanks

sure can. As long as you mark the top of the gear and belt if it does move you can always rotate the cams individually so when the timing mark on the pulley is facing the middle and your mark is in the up position it will be in top dead center for that cam. : P

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

That's awesome, Chris. Inventive.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Thanks. When I seen what the tool to hold the cams in place looked like I got inspired and remembered I had zip ties and that those might hold it in place and they did.

Thanks
      Hello,
      My name is Joe and I am new to this forum. I just got a 2005 Aveo for my daughter and it is time for a timing belt (180,000 miles).
      I was shopping around and I found a kit on ebay including the water pump for $48.00 with free shipping. Has anyone used the "Car Parts Wiz" kit? I'm not looking for the least expensive part, but I am compelled to give them a try. I have never replaced a timing belt but the instructions and feedback from this post have made me consider replacing it myself. The repair shops in Massachusetts charge CRAZY prices for a job like this and I may just give it a go. Rock Auto is my second choice and they have many "kits" available. It seems hard to tell quality though...

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kn1ghtride View Post
      Hello,
      My name is Joe and I am new to this forum. I just got a 2005 Aveo for my daughter and it is time for a timing belt (180,000 miles).
      I was shopping around and I found a kit on ebay including the water pump for $48.00 with free shipping. Has anyone used the "Car Parts Wiz" kit? I'm not looking for the least expensive part, but I am compelled to give them a try. I have never replaced a timing belt but the instructions and feedback from this post have made me consider replacing it myself. The repair shops in Massachusetts charge CRAZY prices for a job like this and I may just give it a go. Rock Auto is my second choice and they have many "kits" available. It seems hard to tell quality though...
      You maybe better off starting a new thread instead of reviving an old one. So here is my take, do you get all the moving parts for the 48 bucks? If no, then buy a kit that has everything. In my last replacement, I just changed the seal and left the water pump alone. Changing the water pump requires taking the cams gears off, so you easy replacement will be hellish.

So I would go to rock auto a find a kit that replaces all the parts.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast