•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Replacement!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Timing Belt Replacement!

If you have an Aveo, GM recommends replacing your timing belt at 60,000 mi; however, mine broke at 55,000 mi (mine is a 2004). Apparently this is a huge problem with the Aveo and Wave. The parts are cheap even for a belt (they use a plastic idler pulley instead of metal like most cars). No one had even mentioned this to me, so I'm a bit miffed at the $2,000 fee to fix my car (all 16 valves broke, the timing belt has to be replaced, as well as the idler pulley and other things that were damaged during the break). Replace early and often, I guess.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I'm also curious if the replacement needs to be done at 120k miles as well.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MorganVogt
      The parts are cheap even for a belt (they use a plastic idler pulley instead of metal like most cars).
      Yeah I was surprised to discover this as well. I wonder if the fact has been problematic for people so far?

Thanks

Well, I have more than 57,000 miles (92,000km) on mine. I just ordered the timing belt kit and water pump, cost just under $140cad tax/shipping included. Will post updates once parts arrive.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thats a good deal! Did it come with a tensioner? Where did you order it from?

I wish someone would make a good video of a timming belt change. I'm sure they would get alot of views!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnygogo
      Thats a good deal! Did it come with a tensioner? Where did you order it from?

I wish someone would make a good video of a timming belt change. I'm sure they would get alot of views!!!!
      Sorry man, I lost track of this thread. I now have the car jacked up and took off the wheel and removed the air filter. Hopefully everything goes well.

I ordered the timing belt kit from eBay which came with the tensioner. I ordered the water pump from Rock Auto, and I also ordered a metal thermostat housing (because the stock one is plastic and I dont want to wait for it to break), from a seller on iOffer (I think they are also on eBay).

Edit: I don't have a video camera, sorry.. otherwise i'd take record it for sure.

I am using this http://www.aveodiy.blogspot.com/ to help me out for now

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Hey cool. Hope my Blog gets you through it all.

I check here from time to time. Getting the new gasket on the back of the pump from behind the plastic cover was a ginormus beotch. I may have had a friend hold the plastic back I cant quite remember now.

Thanks

Well, everything turned out just fine. Thankfully my dad was able to help me, he has done numerous timing belts some which a bigger beyotch than the Aveo (think subaru, boxer inline 4 engine). everything went without a hitch, took pretty much all day though.

changed the water pump and thermostat housing (put the metal one to replace the plastic one even though it wasn't cracked yet)
      flushed the radiator and put new fluid in (which was much needed)

realized in teh process that i should change the accessory/serpentine belt and the tensioner , but im sure it will be fine for a little while till i do that.

it's also oil change time ,which I think plugs/wires should accompany it... but they are ok for now. all in all i am happy , car is running great

oh and when we took off the old belt, it was obviously about to break! whew.. it was just about coming apart.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

what was your mileage?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Right on Byron84! Happy to hear everything went well for you. Did you have any problems removing the back plate to get the water pump off?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast