•  

Thread: Time to do some work!

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Time to do some work!

Hey, so I hit 100,000K a while ago, now around 104,000K and when I get a job I plan on fixing what's wrong. So, here is what I plan on doing, can you help me out? Need a DIY for some things.

Timing Belt:

I need to change the timing belt, not sure if it was changed before I bought the car at 70,000K but I'm not gonna risk it. Could I do it at the automotive shop at school? Canadian Tire sells the belt for $100.79 and it's around $200 for the install, don't have that kind of money. I know that belts are cheaper, AutoZone sells them for $30 but they don't ship to Canada. What all parts do I need? I was thinking I'd replace the belt, water pump, tensioner and idler?

Wheel bearing:

My left wheel bearing is going, pretty sure the right one is too. I'm just gonna replace both, but is it a driving concern right now, should I take my car off the road?

Seperntine:

I had my seperntine changed 3 times in the last 2 months. This one is making a chafing sound, so I was thinking about getting a new tensioner, idler and belt and putting that on too while I'm at it?

Brakes:

I know the pads are getting pretty worn, how do I tell if the rotors need replaced too? And what pads should I replace it with? The cheaper the better, but I want good performance out of them. My pads are down to about 40%.

End of the story, I found all the parts on AutoZone but they don't ship to Canada... After I get your advice, I was wondering if these are all the parts I need? I can order them through NAPA AutoParts, which is almost the same and we have a store right here in town. So, could you give me your advice please on the few things I listed above, and post up a DIY if possible? I know how to do the brakes and the wheel bearing, that's it though. I have a full garage I can use at my high school, a few automotive boys there helped me out with previous repairs monitored by the teacher.

Duralast/Wheel Bearing - Front - Quantity: 2 - $99.98
      Duralast Dayco/Timing Belt - Quantity: 1 - $30.99 (Compared to $100 Canadian Tire)
      Duralast/Idler Pulley - Quantity: 1 - $17.99
      Duralast/Belt Tensioner - Quantity: 1 - $17.99
      Valucraft Reman/Water Pump - Quantity: 1 - $75.98
      Duralast/Belt - Quantity: 1 - $19.99
      Duralast Gold/Brake Pads - Front - Quantity: 1 - $35.99

Total: $298.91

This is affordable for me, as I'm just a high school student still paying gas, living in the country and 30 minutes away from work - Not working at the moment, but will be putting my first pay into this which will be hopefully soon, as I don't know how much longer I can last with my car like this. After all this, my car should be up to full working condition right?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i think there might (might) be a timing belt kit that has the middle 5 parts for less than you have them listed out for.. but im not going to do the math, kits usually offer some additional savings. I would also think it would be better than a reman water pump..

the prices sound ok, but you might find better prices, but im not canadian.. so take that with a grain of salt. Where are you shopping?

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      If you can get the wheel bearings very soon and they are just starting to go bad you should be ok, otherwise I would do my best to park it and get them asap.

I went to a farm equipment supplier the last time I bought grease for bearings, they had great prices and the grease was great quality. Something to look into, you might save a buck.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      What happens if the bearings go? They've been pretty worn down for the last month or so. Just don't have a job right now, and my folks can't lend me the money. I need my car though for many reasons, we have two other vehicles but they're gas guzzlers it would cost me twice as much to put the gas into them. I go through a tank every two days in my Aveo... I plan on doing the bearings and timing belt at the same time.

But so far, does all that look like what I need, to have my car in perfect running order? Anything else I should add? I forgot to mention it's a 2006 Chevrolet Aveo5 Special Value

Thanks
      Uhh, well I guess the best way to describe is a story a buddy of mine told me. This will be in his words summarized as best I can remember.

"Me and some friends were in my car driving down the highway, and it was hilarious, this guys tire rolled past us down the road and finally went into the ditch. as we got a little farther down the road, we realized it was mine."

That's a worst case scenario, but if the bearing does go, it gets substantially more expensive to fix.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Alright, thanks for the advice. It doesn't really grind or anything it's just a little noisy around the wheel well, so after my weekend I'll replace the bearings.

Thanks
      ok, good luck.

2008 Aveo5 SV