•  

Thread: Are these all related? Electrical/thermostat/headlight

Ika
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Are these all related? Electrical/thermostat/headlight

Greetings. I'm not a car person, really at all, but I'm also not a wealthy person. I'm trying to know what's wrong with my car before I pay to have parts thrown at it.

Currently, my 2009 Aveo LT has one headlight that works when the daytime running lights are on, however it switches off and the other headlight comes on when I turn them off. If I use brights, they both work.

The headlight that doesn't work when the daytime running lights are on showed some melting and the whole housing was recently replaced. That's when they stopped working at the same time.

Recently, the Hold button started flashing, combined with air conditioner no longer blowing out cold air and the thermostat gauge won't work at all.

The clock on my dash will often lose time, and occasionally the battery will just die.

Any ideas? This car has just been one thing after another and it feels like there's one source of all the little problems.

Thanks in advance.

Ika
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Anyone? Please.

Thanks
      Hello Ika.

Your issues are mostly unrelated to each other.

The headlight issue is pretty odd and would be pretty difficult to troubleshoot over the internet.

The hold light issue has been seen before. Here is a thread with some information:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/g...h-today-11518/

Clocks loosing time are just a fact of life when cheaper electronics are used.

The battery going flat could be a number of things. I'd first check that the terminal clamps on the battery are tight. After that I'd have to start electrical troubleshooting which again is difficult online.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i would try replacing both bulbs. I had to replace my bulbs often because of the DRL lights being a low voltage running through the bulbs. I think I would replace the bulbs and then disable the DRLs and see if that is a fix, to disable the DRLs all you need to do is pull the DRL fuse. Although with the replacement light, I would check the connections are still good.

The hold light is light a check engine light for the transmission. This could be a signal issue from on of the engine sensors, or something else entirely. A scan tool might read it, but most likely you will need a dealer to scan it.

The air conditioning and temp gauge can be anything, sensor, or a charge of freon. Those are most likely isolated problems. I do not know if the temp will cut the AC for overheating, some cars do that, so if the sensor has no signal, it could cause the ac to cut out and the hold light (should the Transmission wants to know engine temp?)

If the clock resets to 1:00, it could be the memory fuse, it is separate from the clock working.