Well, followup to this thread: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/...g-wires-15712/

Ford dealership said the valve gasket leak was drowning out the spark, so they replaced the gasket.

Still won't start.

Fast forward to today, and now they say the catalytic converter is plugged. Because of California, they say there are no aftermarket ones. They quote $1,512.

I know these cars have 5 year/100,000 warranty, but the car is an 08 with 92K miles (past the 60 month mark I assume; We bought it used in December of 2010).

I called a Chevy dealership, and they quoted $1,700.00 for the part alone and out the door with labor it would be about $2,000. He said if it had less than 80,000 miles, they would have done it for free though because of Chevy extended coverage? He said because it had 92K though, he could probably get us a discount called Chevy Assistance. I gave him my Vin and he said it would probably cost about $500-1K depending on what Chevy says. WOW, huge discount! I asked him to verify with me on the phone that out the door it would be no more than $1,000. He wouldn't answer me outright and said he would "do the best I can". Didn't get the warm fuzzies about that and I don't want to pay to have the car towed there only to be told nope, it won't be under $1K.

I plan to call a few more dealerships around here, but I wonder if anyone with some expertise on the warranty/Chevy Assistance could comment?

Also, I wanted to ask this question: If I got an aftermarket non-CA catalytic converter for $100-200 and it was bolt-on and fit fine, would be it plug and play? Would I have to get the computer re-programmed?