•  

Thread: 08 Aveo Transmission Problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

08 Aveo Transmission Problem

My 08 Aveo has around 90k miles. The AT started slipping this week and has very quickly gotten worse. It slips several times a mile at all speeds, and now even seems to be slipping while stopped at lights. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be wrong? The fluid level is fine. It was inspected by two different GM dealers prior to the train warranty expiration and they said they couldn't find a problem. At that time it was having trouble shifting above 60mph, which is still a problem.

Thanks
      Do you have any CEL codes? I would find a transmission shop that has a scan tool to check the transmission, not just a basic scan tool that can read generic codes but one that can read manufacturer specific transmission codes.

Have you pulled the transmission pan and inspected the magnets for metal shavings?

Have you ever changed the fluid and filter on the transmission?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kelseyr.stephens View Post
      My 08 Aveo has around 90k miles. The AT started slipping this week and has very quickly gotten worse. It slips several times a mile at all speeds, and now even seems to be slipping while stopped at lights. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be wrong?
      Face it. Your transmission is dead. It's the most expensive part of a car to rebuild.

The fluid level is fine. It was inspected by two different GM dealers prior to the train warranty expiration and they said they couldn't find a problem. At that time it was having trouble shifting above 60mph, which is still a problem.
      Yep. If I were a GM dealer I might say the same thing - just to extend the time frame so that it could no longer be considered covered by any manufacturer's warranty. They "couldn't find a problem" because they didn't want to, and your A/T wasn't quite dead yet. So they stalled you to buy time. Time passed. Now you no longer have an actionable complaint.

It's like taking candy from a baby...

Thanks

08 Transmission Problem

Quote Originally Posted by blueveo View Post
      Do you have any CEL codes? I would find a transmission shop that has a scan tool to check the transmission, not just a basic scan tool that can read generic codes but one that can read manufacturer specific transmission codes.

Have you pulled the transmission pan and inspected the magnets for metal shavings?

Have you ever changed the fluid and filter on the transmission?

Thanks for your response. I'm not particularly good with cars, so I have not pulled and inspected anything. I'm getting it into a transmission shop that's highly rated on Angie's List tonight. Hopefully they can read manufacturer's specific codes. The last time I had it in it was not throwing codes, but it's clearly much, much worse now than it was then.

I have not changed the fluid or filter because it wasn't listed as suggested maintenance in the manual, and no one had suggested it to me. It suggests changing if driven as a taxi, on strenuous terrain, or mostly city routes. I'd say over 95% of the mileage on mine is highway.

Hopefully it's not trashed, or if so, GM will come through since they have on record where it's been in for transmission issues they were unable to diagnose.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hi Kelsey,

Please check your messages. I requested some information from you to see how I can assist you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
      Chevrolet Customer Care

Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html