•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found problem - Coolant in transmission fluid

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Found problem - Coolant in transmission fluid

All - I found the problem. The transmission cooler is located inside the right side tank of the radiator. The trans fluid was leaking into the radiator via the cooler and vice versa. I drained the radiator and transmission and the fluid looked the same - brown and oily (I just replaced the coolant last week and the trans fluid two months ago). Now I have to flush both the engine and trans. Once this is fixed this car is gone! Not sure what kind of long term damage was done to the trans.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Really bad news, and after reading this you will see that you're not alone.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/n...-buy-gm-15413/

Were you able to figure out what the actual radiator/cooler defect is that caused the leak?
      This is starting to have the sound of something really ugly

Thanks
      After pulling the radiator we ran a pressure test on the cooler itself. You could see bubbles and hear the air escaping. Gonna tear the plastic tank off next week. Got a new radiator from Rockauto for $140. Napa and Autozone wanted $230 for the same one. I am going to flush the trans several time to get the coolant out the best I can......see what happens....stay tuned.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GTOKID View Post
      After pulling the radiator we ran a pressure test on the cooler itself. You could see bubbles and hear the air escaping. ....
      What part of the cooler had the leak? Was it at a point where 2 pieces of the cooler were welded together? Or at a join of the cooler to the radiator? Do you have a picture of the leak area that you could post?

Thanks
      Hey Avguy - I can't see exactly where the leak is with the radiator together. I have to go out of town on biz till Wed. so when I get back I will tear apart the old radiator, take some pics and post them.

Thanks
      I am waiting to hear how the flushing turns out It has become painfully apparent to me that this is going to end up being a long drawn out issue that I either have to believe in or just get out from underneath this stupid car and get something else. I do not think replacing the radiator is a good idea for me because once that leak is fixed I still have the transmission that is dragging, high reving, no cruise, no speedo or odo, no 4th gear so who knows how much the damage to the trans will cost they told me at the reamership that the trans is sealed and cannot be rebuilt only replaced. On top of that I have to replace a Idle Air sensor, the AC has quit twice now the tire pressure indicators are all screwed up the gas gauge is not accurate the exhaust REEEEEEKS of rotten eggs to the point that you can even smell it while moving.......It is just a money pit whether GM will back it or not does not seem to be the issue any longer

Thanks
      Took apart the radiator - here are some pics. The brown stuff is the coolant.....the trans fluid looked the same.
      Name:  001.JPG
Views: 5622
Size:  142.9 KBName:  002.JPG
Views: 4693
Size:  148.8 KBName:  003.JPG
Views: 4696
Size:  130.9 KB

Thanks
      Thanks for posting the pics, but it's not obvious (to me anyway) where the leak is located. Were you able to isolate the exact location? If so, did it appear to be caused by a bad weld, or dissimilar metals in contact?

Thanks
      Hey avguy - I haven't pressure tested the cooler since I removed it from the radiator tank. I am still working on flushing the trans and motor. I will post some pics on where the actual leak was as soon as I can.

Thanks
      I replaced to output speed sensor, but I still have the same problem P722, No speedo, no 4th gear. I took the old sensor and connected it to the trans connector, then spun the gear with a drill and guess what.....the speedo moved. Looks like the gear that drives the output speed sensor inside the trans is not working! Anyone else have this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast