•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P0300 Code and no start

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I'll see if I have some fuel line laying around to use as a makeshift stethoscope. I've diagnosed nailing diesel injectors before.

I wish he had told me that it wasn't feeling the same after the cats were replaced (I do believe both were replaced). I am very meticulous about my car(94 E320 Cabriolet) and my family members.. not so much apparently.

To remove the timing belt cover I just remove the two bolts securing it and leave the engine mount?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yeah the top cover come off without the mount, i'm 90% sure (i have the newer engine).

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well, I went to the car today and it was down pouring, awesome. I had stopped by a mechanic a friend reccomended and he gave me a card for a tow truck he uses. I went to the car, its still raining so I say screw it and tow it to him.

Get the car there, pop the hood. Charles removed the oil cap and tells me to bump the engine over. Did that and the cam did not move. Great.. just great. Theres your random misfire. We push the car into the garage and remove the valve cover to do a leak down test. Cylinders 2 and 4 are at 90/100 psi.. Good good... Go to cyl 3 and its at 75, not good.

Pull out the TSB's and in '07 there was a tsb for random misfiring and etc. Calls for all the valves to be replaced with I guess an updated valve to cure the sealing issue. Note that in '09 the catalytic converter went into melt down mode. The dealership replaced all of that under warranty. But they did not, and I repeat did not tell my parents about the TSB while it was still under warranty. My mother was there for the work and everything they did. She does not even recall them saying anything about a timing belt job or anything. Great, now I need call them and get the records from them on the car if I can to see if they did mention any TB or valves in the work order for the cat.

So, Charles is pulling the head and sending it out. He has done this job before on an '04 Aveo so he knows what is involved and I am looking at $1300 out the door. I'd honestly probably be able to do this myself but I don't have the time with work and school(finals are in like 3 weeks) I have my own car I need to deal with at the moment too(rebuilding the top hydraulics).

He will be calling me later with an up to date quote on the job. If need be I have a friend at a chevy dealership and I can probably get all of the parts at cost if need be.

I know I am new on this forum and I really appreciate everyones help but I will say this.. I hate timing belts, I will never own a car with a timing belt. All of my Mercedes have been double row timing chains.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i dont see how the timing belt failure is at all related to the TSB? plus that tsb was in canada anyhow wasnt it? if your referring to the one brought up here a few times.

thats one of the things i told you to look into, listening for engine noise if you cranked it. Did you check the belt itself? if you have been dry cranking it as long as i would think, did you do a wet test on the compression test?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      We didn't hear any weird noises but the compression on #3 (75 out of 100 psi) was not ideal according to him. The teeth on the belt were stripped at the crank pulley.

I don't know what to do when it comes to this car. It's built to be disposable but I cant just cast it off and get another car.
      Last edited by TheDon; 04-05-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Got the updated repair estimate.. $1400.. Paid the diagnosis fee and towed it home.... A friend is going to help me pull the head and ill send it to the same machine shop the mechanic uses. He gave me the name and number. My friend(s) that are helping me have experience pulling heads and making the car run after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12