•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd problem with radio and domelight on 2009

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Odd problem with radio and domelight on 2009

I've had a 2009 Aveo 5 since it was new. One feature it has is that after the ignition is off and the key is removed, the radio will continue to play until a door is opened. Recently I noticed that the radio did not shut off at all; I had to turn it off manually before leaving the car. Also the dome light, with the switch set to the center position for door activation would not light when the door was open.

Mysteriously, after two days everything returned to normal. From experience I know that most things that malfunction will eventually do so again. I'm thinking it might be a door switch going bad. Any other suggestions or clues?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      You're probably right. And it's most likely your driver's door, since it gets the most use. 'Sticking' in the closed position, the radio wouldn't see that you opened the door, and dome light thinks the door is still closed. You could always remove the switch and clean it up.

The radio eventually turns off I believe.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      You're probably right. And it's most likely your driver's door, since it gets the most use. 'Sticking' in the closed position, the radio wouldn't see that you opened the door, and dome light thinks the door is still closed. You could always remove the switch and clean it up.

The radio eventually turns off I believe.
      Yep, turns off after 10 minutes. The clock display does too

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Sorry for my English, but i had the same problem with door and light (Aveo 1600 Autmatic, 2013). The problemmaker was my usb-stick (64 Gb). I have replaced it with a stick of 4Gb and the problem was gone.

Thanks
      I've had a 2009 Aveo 5 since it was new. One feature it has is that after the ignition is off and the key is removed, the radio will continue to play until a door is opened. Recently I noticed that the radio did not shut off at all; I had to turn it off manually before leaving the car. Also the dome light, with the switch set to the center position for door activation would not light when the door was open.
      Now it's doing it again. I removed and checked the door switch, and the switch is fine - the switch is definitely not the problem. If anyone has any insight about how this circuit works I'd like some insight on it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the door switches provide a ground, which means there is a relay somewhere. maybe its one of the barely visible relays in the dash just box area. I would check that.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      the door switches provide a ground, which means there is a relay somewhere. maybe its one of the barely visible relays in the dash just box area. I would check that.
      From what I observed it makes sense that you are correct, and I appreciate your input. After checking the driver's door switch (which tested good) to confirm and observe it I swapped it with a rear door switch. When I reinstalled it as the rear door switch, with that rear door open, the switch sparked to ground and lit the dome light, but the driver's door still doesn't.

So where is this mystery relay located? I'd rather not rear the whole dash apart to try to find it. That's what I need to know.

Thanks
      I found the relay for the accessories which is located in the box under the hood. If I unplug that relay the radio will go off, so it's the right one. I swapped it with the relay for the heater fan, as they are identical. The problem still exists, so it isn't the relay.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or a schematic for this?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Rabbit said go check the ground, I would do that you have picked all the low hanging fruit on easy stuff to check. One of the wires going to the switch is hot and that's going to the relay. Check the ground inside the relay box to that relay. Pull the relay out and use a multimeter to figure out which is ground (should be marked) and then check continuity to ground on that wire.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Rabbit said go check the ground, I would do that you have picked all the low hanging fruit on easy stuff to check. One of the wires going to the switch is hot and that's going to the relay. Check the ground inside the relay box to that relay. Pull the relay out and use a multimeter to figure out which is ground (should be marked) and then check continuity to ground on that wire.
      I still can't figure this out. Here are the tests that I've done. The relay has four contacts. With the relay removed, two of the terminals are always hot (12v) and the other two go to ground, as confirmed by a continuity test. This remains the case whether the driver's door is open or not.

The dome light will light when activated by any door other than the driver's door. What is odd is that all the other doors have two wires going to the switch, but the driver's door only has one. I even checked to see whether a wire might have broken off at the switch, but no, the terminal has only one wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast