•  

Thread: New to the forum. Just Bought My '09 Aveo , Looking for some help.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Thumbs up New to the forum. Just Bought My '09 Aveo , Looking for some help.

I just bought a 2009 chev aveo hatchback, 5 speed with 70,000kms. Anything I should be on the lookout for? do these cars need the timing belt replaced at certain kms? any known issues? please any input would be greatly appreciated. Have a baby due in 4 weeks and want to make sure this car is reliable and safe for the road.

Thanks

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by newfiebullet View Post
      I just bought a 2009 chev aveo hatchback, 5 speed with 70,000kms. Anything I should be on the lookout for? do these cars need the timing belt replaced at certain kms? any known issues? please any input would be greatly appreciated. Have a baby due in 4 weeks and want to make sure this car is reliable and safe for the road.
      That mileage translates to about 43K miles in USA. On the 2009 the timing belt is supposed to last 100K miles. No worry there.

Apparently you are in Newfoundland. That's the Eastern Atlantic coastal environment. Any rust on it?

I'd suggest a close look at the suspension because it is a really rudimentary, cheap design on the Aveo. (That's putting it charitably.) Any creaks, groans, or noises? It's not a bad car, but IMO that's what might cause problems first.

Also make sure that the spark plug / coil pack recall was done by a dealer. That recall is probably covered no matter what the mileage or ownership transfer.

Assuming that you might encounter fewer road potholes and use of winter road salt than where I live, it might serve you just fine.

I've got a 2009 hatch. On mine the digital clock was replaced under warranty and it recently just died again. To hell with it. If the stupid clock is only thing that ever fails on this car, I'll be glad.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      I've never had a problem with my clock, but that seems to be a common issue... although I had tons of problems with the ****ty relays gm puts in these cars from the factory... I think I had 6 replaced with the heavier duty 30A black ones. The gray ones suck

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      That mileage translates to about 43K miles in USA. On the 2009 the timing belt is supposed to last 100K miles. No worry there.

Apparently you are in Newfoundland. That's the Eastern Atlantic coastal environment. Any rust on it?

I'd suggest a close look at the suspension because it is a really rudimentary, cheap design on the Aveo. (That's putting it charitably.) Any creaks, groans, or noises? It's not a bad car, but IMO that's what might cause problems first.

Also make sure that the spark plug / coil pack recall was done by a dealer. That recall is probably covered no matter what the mileage or ownership transfer.

Assuming that you might encounter fewer road potholes and use of winter road salt than where I live, it might serve you just fine.

I've got a 2009 hatch. On mine the digital clock was replaced under warranty and it recently just died again. To hell with it. If the stupid clock is only thing that ever fails on this car, I'll be glad.

I noticed this until today, do you know if this is an issue with all the generations of Aveo? I had to replace mine about a couple of weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      I've never had a problem with my clock, but that seems to be a common issue... although I had tons of problems with the ****ty relays gm puts in these cars from the factory... I think I had 6 replaced with the heavier duty 30A black ones. The gray ones suck
      Mine too, the clock keeps going on and off, is there any solution for this?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      If it's going on and off replace it. Mine would go on and off, and then reset to 1:00. I checked it and it had a burnt place inside, which was a dead short. Upon further inspection, it also had a cracked place in the circuit board. The dash gets SO hot in the sun that I think it literally cooks them, that's why this is a global issue for the Aveo's. (Hot, Cold, Hot, Cold.)

Bought mine on ebay for $30! That random resetting drove my mild OCD nuts, and was VERY annoying.

Best of luck,
      -Andrew

Thanks
      That's what I thought, that it needed to be replaced...
      I think it's going to be a little bit difficult to find one, because mine doesn't have any light indicators, it's just the clock... but I'll try to check eBay and see if I can find one