•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misfire / Rough Idle

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Could you please post the relearn procedure. Just replaced timing belt which included a new head. Now the battery light is on and the car keeps dying. I put the charger on it, then it starts up, runs great but dies when I take the charger off. Thank you.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      that sounds like you didn't attach the engine ground wire.

Thanks
      [QUOTE=petrified.rabbit;185911]that sounds like you didn't attach the engine ground wire.[/QUOTE

That's attached if you're referring to the ground that attaches to the alternator bracket stud with a nut. That's the only ground I took off I believe.

Thanks
      I just checked. What I thought was a ground appears that it wasn't. However I don't remember taking a ground strap off in this process. Where would it be.

Thanks
      The dash and running light problem is in the junction box between the battery and radiator expansion tank. Remove the plastic cover and you will see at the end there likely will be burn marks. This is the subject of a potential recall from Chevy. An interim solution is to by pass the block and wire around the terminals.

As for the idle problem, I have been suffering the same issue and after a time belt change, both cam and crank sensors and plugs wires, the code 0300 is still there with rough idle and misfires. I am an old hand at timing belts as I have two of these cars since new. An 05 with 300,000 miles and an 06 with 200,000 miles. The reliability of these cars is decent and having done these procedures many times before, this is the first time I have encountered such a problem.

I have swapped the coils, the wires and the plugs to no avail. I suspect that this is a crankshaft relearn procedure problem since I replaced both crank and cam sensors at the same time. I will replace the old ones if no one responds.

Thanks
      Also, when the four plugs came out and showed soot on 1,2, and 4. Number 3 was clean, but wet with unburned gasoline. This is why I presumed a spark issue and swapped out the ignition system from plugs to coil but with no change.

Nice to have two cars the same that share parts!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BrassBallsInc View Post
      ... I will replace the old ones if no one responds.
      You stole my response.

Thanks
      Well, it ran the same with both sensors replaced. So that's not it either. The last thing I can think of is the computer is retarding the spark timing somehow. As it runs it continually requires more and more throttle to stay on. The computer is always retarding spark for some reason.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Haven't read the rest of the thread yet. My initial response to this would be to do a relative compression test watching starter current over time using an oscilloscope (200ms time base, depending on how badly the equipment aliases.) if one peak is a little low, then I'd follow up with cranking compression, running compression, and leakage test (pressurize the suspect cylinder at TDC and see where it goes.)
      Apparently, I've replied to this thread before.
      BBI: Anytime those components are replaced, you want to get your tech-2 or clone going and run the crank variation relearn. here's the kicker: the engine has to be at operating temperature, or it won't run. It's the best way to make false misfires go away. Not a good idea if you have a mechanically dead cylinder or one that has been washed with fuel to the point the rings don't seal.

I would try and dry out that hole and screw in a fresh plug (I just run the NGK V-power plugs, the waste spark ignition is pretty hard on anything you put in there. I might add a few drops of oil to help the rings seal (if the cyl walls are badly scored, they won't seal anyway.) It sounds like you've gone thru the ignition system already. Did your coil swap net any result?

not all of our cars have splice packs in the fuse boxes
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/...tml#post192629
      I'm still looking for the splice pack on this particular one

The idle relearn procedure is here somewhere if you're willing to search. Otherwise; IIRC our cars relearn every 4 starts anyway.

sometimes an injector dribbles instead of spraying a fine mist, and sometimes it is on (or even just leaking out of the nozzle) all the time. Anyway, I hope the best for everyone reading this thread.

but wait... there's more!

It seems like I owe this thread some splice pack pictures... those were part of the few that are corrupt in my memory card. I'll have to take some more some time soon!
      Last edited by JusteR; 03-26-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: it's 2 am

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I just replace the cables and Spark Plug, driving on the freeway I got Misfire / Rough Idle.

So my choices to try would be the crank variation relearn or the coil pack. Check engine and hold lights are flashing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast