•  

Thread: Just bought 2004 Aveo Hatchback. Two electrical type questions.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Just bought 2004 Aveo Hatchback. Two electrical type questions.

Hello!
      I literally just walked in the door from buying a 2004 Aveo. On my drive home, the two issues I noticed were

1) The clock.. It is on and functioning when I turn the car on.. then it eventually just turns off. Sometimes shortly before it turns off, it'll flash with the turn signal, then turn off completely.. however the other lights on the display (door, seatbelt, etc) still work.

2) the 12v power outlet in the center console doesn't work. The one on the dash works and I could only find one fuse. Is the one fuse for both outlets?

Thanks in advance!!

-Randy

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by strra View Post
      Hello!
      I literally just walked in the door from buying a 2004 Aveo. On my drive home, the two issues I noticed were

1) The clock.. It is on and functioning when I turn the car on.. then it eventually just turns off. Sometimes shortly before it turns off, it'll flash with the turn signal, then turn off completely.. however the other lights on the display (door, seatbelt, etc) still work.

2) the 12v power outlet in the center console doesn't work. The one on the dash works and I could only find one fuse. Is the one fuse for both outlets?

Thanks in advance!!

-Randy

Hello, welcome to the forum!

The clocks can short out, you can find them for cheap on eBay. Mine went bad under warranty and was replaced. It's literally a 10 minute fix. The hot and cold temperature change extremes can literally "bake" them, I've always used a window sun shade since I bought the car. (And another reason I love tinted windows.)

Both power outlets use one fuse, the secondary one could be full of dirt or it may have simply gone bad. You could remove the console and check the connector for it and see if it's loose. It's actually very easy to remove.

Hope this helps, best of luck with your new Aveo. We don't see many 2004's, most people have trashed them.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks!
      I'll see if I can find YouTube videos on how to take this stuff apart. I think I'd like to replace the radio in it too because I'm not sure if I can survive without an aux port FM transmitters are usually worthless.

And this one is in great shape. Very pretty for its age. Minimal rust (which is a rarity here in Michigan) and the interior is flawless. Only 110k on it, so as long as I baby it the way I try to with all my cars, I hope to get another 110k out of it.

*EDIT* I found lots on replacing the radio.. seems easy enough.. but no such luck finding info on the console and the dash around the clock... any tips?
      Last edited by strra; 06-14-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by strra View Post
      Thanks!
      I'll see if I can find YouTube videos on how to take this stuff apart. I think I'd like to replace the radio in it too because I'm not sure if I can survive without an aux port FM transmitters are usually worthless.

And this one is in great shape. Very pretty for its age. Minimal rust (which is a rarity here in Michigan) and the interior is flawless. Only 110k on it, so as long as I baby it the way I try to with all my cars, I hope to get another 110k out of it.

*EDIT* I found lots on replacing the radio.. seems easy enough.. but no such luck finding info on the console and the dash around the clock... any tips?
      Yea, I can't survive without USB for my iPhone 5s. lol I changed mine with a Kenwood DPX300U and I wanted something that didn't stick out of my dash.

Mine had a 113k, but an old couple had it and it's spotless. It had and still has ZERO rust and no scratches. My interior is spotless too. There wasn't a thing wrong with it, it just passed the warranty and they wanted something newer. Only having one owner and knowing the history is nice. They had two other cars there when I was looking that were Chevy, the Aveo had more miles but was the best looking and ran the best. I'm so glad I bought it.

I've had it almost a year and a 1/2 and I've done nothing but change the Engine Air filter, Cabin Air Filter, Brake Pads once, tires, and both rear wheel bearings and oil changes. That's it, simple basic maintenance. I spoil and baby mine, you'll be fine.

If it's at 110k, I assume that the timing belt has been changed? Most people aren't aware of the 70-80k change interval and theirs snaps. Mine was done under warranty about 2 months before they traded it in. Ha! I didn't have to mess with it. I'm just glad it didn't snap and they knew about it needing changed.

There's lots of write ups and how to's on the forum, so do some searching when you start your projects.

Best of luck!

There's also an AveoForum Facebook Group if you're interested in joining.

You might also also want to look up the "Highest Mileage Aveo" Thread, a guy has an 08 or 09 with 428k and counting and a pic to prove it. They're only factory rated for 300k...

Last edited by AndrewButler05; 06-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.