•  

Thread: Hot weather oil and maintenance recommendations?

Thanks

Hot weather oil and maintenance recommendations?

My 2007 Aveo has 85,000 miles. The previous owner said the oil was "changed regularly" - didn't say where or when or with what.

The car is with me now in the bottom SW corner of Arizona. Our temps are slightly warm right now - upper 80s into the 90s (F) - but that's not unusual for some years. During our summer season (which normally runs from mid-April to Halloween or Thanksgiving), temps are normally well over 100, and 115 is anticipated. (It hit 124 one year out in the bare desert.)

Adding to that, the asphalt will bake you!! (Yes, people *do* fry eggs on it just to prove the point.) So for months, I will be driving 35-45 minutes on the highway, with the air temps over 100, road temps up to 165 or more, and the AC cranked.

Given that the oil specifications of 5W30 (or 0W30 for colder areas) are geared more to cold weather and the owner's manual doesn't address temperatures above 100F (unless I didn't see it), what oil do you hot-climate owners use? And how does driving in the heat affect your oil change intervals?

Ed

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Use 5w30 as specified in the owner's manual and change as required. At 3000 miles, pull the dipstick and rub some oil between your fingers. Does it feel like oil? Any particles in it? Discolored? Smell it; does it smelled burnt? Each persons environment and car is different, only you will be able to tell when the oil needs to be changed. But I would stick to manufacturers specifications.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by slayerized6 View Post
      Use 5w30 as specified in the owner's manual and change as required. At 3000 miles, pull the dipstick and rub some oil between your fingers. Does it feel like oil? Any particles in it? Discolored? Smell it; does it smelled burnt? Each persons environment and car is different, only you will be able to tell when the oil needs to be changed. But I would stick to manufacturers specifications.
      I disagree. The purpose of multi-viscosity oil is twofold. First, 5w is primarily used and recommended as it flows easier in cold temps. Second, theoretically, that would also provide better fuel economy. (The emphasis is on "theoretically". You probably won't notice any difference.) Since it is anything but cold in Arizona in summer, there is no advantage to your using 5w-30 there now. Also your car has 85K on it, and as an engine gets older and starts to wear it might benefit from a heavier oil. I'd use 10w-40 if I were you. In summer heat, a heavier oil multi-grade oil would be fine, even preferable.