My 2007 Aveo has 85,000 miles. The previous owner said the oil was "changed regularly" - didn't say where or when or with what.

The car is with me now in the bottom SW corner of Arizona. Our temps are slightly warm right now - upper 80s into the 90s (F) - but that's not unusual for some years. During our summer season (which normally runs from mid-April to Halloween or Thanksgiving), temps are normally well over 100, and 115 is anticipated. (It hit 124 one year out in the bare desert.)

Adding to that, the asphalt will bake you!! (Yes, people *do* fry eggs on it just to prove the point.) So for months, I will be driving 35-45 minutes on the highway, with the air temps over 100, road temps up to 165 or more, and the AC cranked.

Given that the oil specifications of 5W30 (or 0W30 for colder areas) are geared more to cold weather and the owner's manual doesn't address temperatures above 100F (unless I didn't see it), what oil do you hot-climate owners use? And how does driving in the heat affect your oil change intervals?

Ed