•  

Thread: help weird idle

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

help weird idle

I had a problem for a couple weeks where my car would rev on its own from 1000 rpm to about 1500-1600. Someone suggested the TPS so I just changed it. The revving has stopped but now it stays at a high idle of 1500. Any ideas?

Last edited by reddemonx92; 02-26-2014 at 03:18 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hello,

I understand that you have idling concerns with your vehicle. Please let us know if we can assist with getting your vehicle into the dealership for a proper diagnosis. If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to us via PM with your full name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? If you have the hood open and rev the engine with your hand, is it difficult to move or is it relatively easy? I would try a little precision-spraying of wd-40 and see if that helps.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by RicochetRandy View Post
      Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? If you have the hood open and rev the engine with your hand, is it difficult to move or is it relatively easy? I would try a little precision-spraying of wd-40 and see if that helps.
      No I have never cleaned it and it's at 98k miles now. And even in drive it idled at bout 1200, normal is bout 800

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Sounds like it could be the air/idle unit. When they go out, the computer will read it as open and then this will cause the RPM or rough idle too. If you have availability of a scanner, then I would get it checked out.

Thanks
      I had my car scanned for error codes but nothing shows up. Today however my car started revving on its on again while im at a stoplight. It cant be the TPS cus i just changed it. Now im not sure what it is. I dont know if my throttle is dirty and thats what is causing it or if its the Idle air control. The IAC is almost 80$ thats why i went with the TPS first because it was cheaper.

Thanks
      Please help still same issue. I cleaned my air filter, tried the carb cleaner, I changed the tps and I'm still having high idle and the self revving issue. Please help.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Because changing the TPS altered the problem, I would tend to believe there's still something going on related to that part. Are you certain it fully seated on the TB, without any gap to allow air in? Did you doublecheck the part number? How about the condition of the TPS connector and wiring? And lastly, there are occasionally bad parts out of the box. If nothing turns up with the other stuff I mentioned, it might be worth a shot to swap it again for another new one - maybe even a different make.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Because changing the TPS altered the problem, I would tend to believe there's still something going on related to that part. Are you certain it fully seated on the TB, without any gap to allow air in? Did you doublecheck the part number? How about the condition of the TPS connector and wiring? And lastly, there are occasionally bad parts out of the box. If nothing turns up with the other stuff I mentioned, it might be worth a shot to swap it again for another new one - maybe even a different make.
      After I changed the TPS the battery was still connected. Would resetting the battery make it relearn with the new sensor if that is an issue? I totally forgot to disconnect the battery at the time of the change.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I think the bottom line with auto computers is that, except for the guy who wrote the code, it's just a guessing game about everything that's happening in there. So, sure why not try disconnecting the battery, flush memory, and see if that fixes the problem.