•  

Thread: Help! Engine cranks, then immediate stall!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Help! Engine cranks, then immediate stall!

Hello all! Been racking my brain as to what's going on...first off let me say just put in a brand new battery and was driving the car the day before with no roughness/loss of power or any other symptoms to speak of. The next morning I tried to start the car, strong crank, started and immediately died. This process can be repeated without differentiating. Checked the dash, no codes to speak of, as I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump purr for a couple seconds and the schreader valve on the fuel rail does have initial pressure. I thought it could be anything from the key ignition switch or cam/crankshaft sensors until I truer to spray a bit of Starter fluid into the intake manifold and crank it at the same time. This time the car cranked like a dream and ran for a good 7-10 seconds before again on the starter fluid before again stalling. Any additional questions I could answer let me know!

If if it was fuel injectors or vacuum leak wouldn't it just run extremely rough? Ps I cannot get to the pedal In time to rev the engine and even when I do press it still dies almost immediately with no change in Rpms. I do get an rpm jump as I turn the key and the car catches but it falls immediately as the car stalls! Thanks in advance for your time and key doagnosising!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Have you checked the fuel pump relay? If not, try swapping it with one of the other relays.

Thanks
      Well it was one of those things! I messed with the relay as I did feel it clicking but when I removed it none of the other relays fit the prongs so I just replaced the old relay, tried to start it and failed a couple more times and then, low and behold the car sputtered then fired up and ran like a dream! I drove it around the neighborhood, turned it off and back on 2 times with not so much as a hiccup!
      These kinds of situations really are unsettling as there is no way to know if it will happen again or if it is resolved! There are no leads on what it could have been in just thankful for now that it is running! That's for your response aveoguy, maybe playing with the relay had something to do with it!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Try swapping the old relay back in to see if that gives you any more information.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The description suggested the relay to me as well.. Its just how it goes, not really a "further" explanation thing.

Thanks
      Well guys the problem returned for another day! Same exact symptoms, no codes and then today it cranked up and ran like new again! I can't even take it to a shop if everything is working perfectly! I'll post again if anything new develops!

Is there a fuel filter accessible on my vehicle or are they all internal?

Thanks
      Try running a can of royal purple max clean.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WillyjAveo View Post
      Well guys the problem returned for another day! Same exact symptoms, no codes and then today it cranked up and ran like new again! I can't even take it to a shop if everything is working perfectly! I'll post again if anything new develops!

Is there a fuel filter accessible on my vehicle or are they all internal?
      Dependent on model year, there may be a frame mounted fuel filter. I suspect that you have a fuel pump issue. While cranking the engine, have a helper hit the fuel tank with a mallet. If it starts, the motor that runs the pump has a flat spot and will continue to fail intermittently.