•  

Thread: 06 Aveo LS - Cranks no start, smell of gas

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

06 Aveo LS - Cranks no start, smell of gas

Hi, I just bought a 2006 Aveo sedan LS (automatic) from an estate auction. Looks like it was sitting for a long time (+ 1 year). It did not come with a key so got new key made using the trunk tumbler (could be my problem), anyways, it cranks at 220 rpm (used scanner) but does not start. A strong gasoline smell is present durring cranking. I checked spark wire #1 and there is no spark. There are 0 trouble codes and no padlock type signal is showing on dashboard/instrument panel.
      I guess my questions are... If the key had a transponder, I believe it wouldnīt crank and show the padlock, correct? Does this car come with power door looks cause when I connect battery, I can hear them but thereīs no lock/unlock button on door, I canīt find an aftermarket alarm? What would stop the coil from shooting spark?

Any / all help is greatly appreciated, Thanks,
      DM

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well, the power door lock would have a button if they were factory, there is debate about the transponder in the key, but i think it was settled you need "something" without the transponder the only electronic control to keep it from starting other than killing the battery is killing the spark.

you wont get codes without the car actually starting and running. if this is an aftermarket alarm issue it could be anything. i would also check the wiring over really well for a kill switch, as well as a checked or new battery because 220 rpm crank sounds ok, but you might not have the voltage to run the computer.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hi, thanks for the reply. After reading the 15 pages of troubleshooting here... What would the symptoms be of having a broken timming belt? Could this be the problem? I would imagine hearing alot of metal banging inside...Car only has 35000 miles on it by the way.

I always thought that the theft module (transponder) only disables the fuel supply or injectors, thats why Iīm kinda confused.
      I just noticed a black and a white wires to o2 sensor broken, even though I doubt it the problem, will patch up in the morning.
      Looked inside the door and the wireing for door lock looks OEM, but will also look for that alarm in the morning.
      Thanks again...