Help! I'm at my wit's end with this car. Story and background below.
I bought a 2005 Aveo from a friend who said the car just stopped working one day. Figured out really quickly that the problem was a broken timing belt.
I replaced the head, valves, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, etc. The car started up for 4 minutes, ran perfectly and then just stopped. No amount of cranking could get it started again. The car cranks and kind of catches, maybe revs up to ~150 RPMs or so. Floored, no throttle--it doesn't matter.
Here's what I've done so far:
1) Checked all the fuses. None were blown
2) Drained the tank and put new fuel in. Disconnected the fuel line at the rail and pumped for ~5 sec to make sure that all the fuel in the line was good.
3) Checked for injector signals with noid lights. All 4 injectors are getting a signal to fire.
4) Checked for spark--all 4 plugs are firing brightly.
5) Replaced the cam shaft position sensor
6) Replaced the crank shaft position sensor
7) Tried a new coolant temperature sensor -- no change
Checked the position of the crankshaft & camshaft timing marks--they are exactly the same as I set them when putting the head back together.
9) Checked compression -- It's at 140 PSI across all cylinders.
I tried starting the car with starter fluid -- the car back fired though the intake and made an impressive fireball in the engine bay. That's the only sign that I have that something isn't working correctly.
So, that's where I'm at. The simple weekend fix has turned into 3+ weekends of part ordering and getting nowhere. Hopefully someone here has some more ideas of what could be wrong. I'm not sure if the car is detecting something wrong and cutting fuel or what, but the check engine light isn't turned on. After a ~30 second session of cranking, the spark plugs aren't wet, so it doesn't seem like the injectors are dumping a lot of fuel into the cylinders, but I have no idea why.
Any ideas/suggestions/advice is welcome.