•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluttering noise in engine

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Fluttering noise in engine

I bought this 2004 chevrolet aveo base model in febuary of this year. The car was previous in accident and I thought all taken care of. Well 2 weeks after owning it the check engine light comes and and I find that the head is bad so I had it resurfaced and the rods were all burnt. So after its fixed and before I hear a fluttering noise nobody knows, so I made a youtbube video.

engine.mpg - YouTube

I love the car so much and I have over 4k into it including 3100 purchase price.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Welcome, I am pretty close to you (Clermont). By rods you mean the valves correct? It sounds like something is sticking in the head, I would take it back to the shop and make them look at it after you spent all that money for it if that is what it is. See what Rabbit says....

You got a decent deal, how many miles?

Thanks
      it had alittle over 85000 when I bought it. The noise was their before and after the head was done.

Thanks
      if you want to hear and see it in person I can meet you somewhere close like chic fila in clermont on hwy 50

Thanks
      and I ment valves.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It "sounds" like a lifter or spring in the valve train.

How much louder is it if you do the exact same thing as the video, and repeat it with the oil cap off (cover with a rag softly to keep oil from going all over). I have a feeling it will be much louder.

Thanks
      rabbit to be honest my mechanic already said he wont tear apart engine to look at his prior work, yea some warranty. Is this damaging the engine or just an annoyance?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It depends, valve train noises like that could be there forever, and not get worse.

They could also stay the same audible sound and be destroying something. Based on the "flutter" it to be on a section of the valve train after the lobe. The more I listen to it is sounds more like a stuck lifter. Probably a reused damaged lifter from when the valves were done. The real issue is if the valve is hanging up and the piston is jarring it loose, or if the lifter is just delayed.

I can offer a "low end" solution you could try. But the mechanic should really be fixing this if he worked on that part, and you have a written warranty. Who did the work? If he wont touch it, ask him for his business insurance agents phone number so his insurance can cover the cost of a second repair. Or call the BBB.

If you cant get anywhere with that, i can give a suggestion or two that is not practical mechanics, but might do the job, you just have to be careful about trying it.

Thanks
      thankyou rabbit for the information. What are your suggestions to try?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the thing that might make the lifter "pop" and this needs done carefully, or you can damage the engine.

basically, you will be doing an oil change, but before you change the oil, start the end and run it, pour and extra quart (or two if your comfortable) into the fill while its running. (it will be messy, cover the opening with a rag, use a funnel in place etc). About 20 seconds after you pour the excess oil in, drain it, put the regular amount back in and repeat.. (always pour it into a warm engine). The added rush of oil in the head has the potential to wash the lifter and make it functional again. TOO much oil in the head and you will start smoking, so watch for that too.

The second method, is the same principle, but more proper. Take the valve cover off, again warm, inspect each lifter, and pour oil over them, allow to drain, then reassemble and drain/change the oil. even pulling the spark plugs and turning the engine over by hand.

I personally say if you have any ability, pull the valve cover to inspect everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast