•  

Thread: Engine Light On? Gas Cap Loose? GM Extends Warranty!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Engine Light On? Gas Cap Loose? GM Extends Warranty!

If you have had to replace your Aveo gas cap again and again....check this out...most dealers don't know it relates to Aveo until you give them the TSB # and make them read it. Mine said that they "were not used to TSB's being issued to extend warranties." Only the Malibu is limited to certain VIN# breakpoints. Maybe this is old news, but worth re-posting:

TSB: 06081 NOV 06 "Campaign - Fuel Filler Cap Warranty Extension"

Condition

Some customers of 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan; 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible; Chevrolet Malibu, Aveo; Cadillac XLR, SRX; and Saturn L-Series model vehicles may experience a condition where the fuel tank gas cap won’t tighten properly or the fuel cap won’t come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 2, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 2, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Involved are certain 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan; 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible; Chevrolet Malibu, Aveo; Cadillac XLR, SRX; and Saturn L-Series model vehicles and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4F100001 thru 4F250545

Here is the letter you may or may not have received:

November 2006
      Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan; 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible; Chevrolet Malibu, Aveo; Cadillac XLR, SRX; or Saturn L-Series, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan; 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible; Chevrolet Malibu, Aveo; Cadillac XLR, SRX; and Saturn L-Series may have a condition where the fuel tank gas cap won’t tighten properly or the fuel cap won’t come off, or is broken. These conditions may also cause the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

Additionally, please be aware that the fuel cap may not seal adequately to the filler neck if pushed down when being tightened. Do not apply a downward force to the fuel cap when tightening.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank cap. If this condition occurs on your 2003-04 Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan; 2004 Saab 9-3 Convertible; Chevrolet Malibu, Aveo; Cadillac XLR, SRX; or Saturn L-Series within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge .

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. The Customer Assistance Center’s hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, EST (Chevrolet, Cadillac), 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST (Saturn), and 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST (Saab) Monday through Friday.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Engine Light On? Gas Cap Loose? GM Extends Warranty!

hmm it say 2004 but ive noticed since ive started pumping gas that on pretty much any other aveo that the gas caps suck and are flimsy....and on certain years they dont even fit in the hold and feel like they are barely hangin on when you put them on....theres alot of gms like that ive noticed....it just feels wa different from mine which is an 04

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Engine Light On? Gas Cap Loose? GM Extends Warranty!

fortunately to date no problems with my 04 sedan!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Just had this done on my 2004. It's a pretty nice feeling getting stuff covered under warranty after 9 years. Thanks to this post I saved myself a few bucks.

Thanks
      Called today and the dealer said its not an open recall for y '08 bummer. Guess I need to go buy my own gas cap

Thanks
      I have had the same isuue the after market gas caps you buy from advance auto or autozone or where ever you go will not work. I went to the dealership and had to pay a little more for and whoolala problem gone. But you have to get from the dealer there is something different with the after market ones that do not work. Also you have to remeber the cel light will only go out after about 100 miles of driving unless the code is cleared. This fixed mine.