•  

Thread: New Fuel Pump Problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New Fuel Pump Problem

My first post here. I have a 2006 Aveo hatchback 5-speed (106,xxx miles). I bought 3 months ago as a second vehicle while I yanked the rear-end out of my Ranger to rebuild (New bearings/ring and pinion). Didn't like it much, but it was $2800 and served it's purpose. Then I started driving it It was fun. I could zip in and out of traffic and park practically anywhere I wanted and got better mileage than my Ranger. I now love this thing. Unfortunately, about a month ago (what I believe) my fuel pump went bad. Auto Zone and Advance Auto both wanted $320 for a new pump. So I checked Ebay and found the exact pump for $217. The first pump I received had a broken fuel inlet (nipple). Returned it for another. 2nd pump, my fuel gauge indicator wasn't working. Checked my fuses and relays, (all good). Replaced it with the original (bad) pump and the gauge works fine. Returned it for a 3rd pump and I'm having the SAME problem! The pump works and the car starts, but the gas gauge wont work! I can't believe I'm unluckly enough to get three bad pumps. So I think I'm missing something. Or I'm just not doing something right. I pivoted the pump around when I installed it to make sure the "fuel level arm" was free and not hanging up on anything. I'm at a loss. Any advice or slap in the face to get this back on the road would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if they are all the same brand it is possible it is just an incompatible cheap part..

what is the gauge doing? nothing at all, incorrect reading, or just sweeping in one area?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Just spoke with a mechanic friend of mine, and it sounds like it's just a cheap ($217 ebay mind you, $322 Auto Zone) part. He says go with AC Delco. The gauge dosent even flinch. Nothing at all. Then I put the old pump back in and the gauge functions properly. The fuel pump manufacture is Airtex. Buyers beware. It don't work with a 2006 Aveo 5 speed hatchback fuel gauge. 3
      strikes and your out......