•  

Thread: Ebay key cheaper than dealership?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question Ebay key cheaper than dealership?

I just bought my aveo5 and it only came with one key. I would like to get this key from ebay and get it cut. It says it needs to be cut at a dealership, and they probably have to program it to unlock my car. Has anyone needed to get a remote entry key made at a dealership? Is it expensive? Would it be better to just buy from a dealership and have them do everything?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Ebay key cheaper than dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
      I just bought my aveo5 and it only came with one key. I would like to get this key from ebay and get it cut. It says it needs to be cut at a dealership, and they probably have to program it to unlock my car. Has anyone needed to get a remote entry key made at a dealership? Is it expensive? Would it be better to just buy from a dealership and have them do everything?
      I would recommend contacting your dealership. Most likely the dealership's parts department will have the original key code for your vehicle. The dealer will be able to give you the cost of making the second key and then you can compare to the Ebay cost.

Vanessa, Chevrolet Customer Service

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108/spare-key-12968/ this guy claims this 2.00 key works for door and ignition.no chip i find it a little hard to believe cause our cars have (or suppose to have) a large theft deterrent ignition module attached to the underside of the steering column.if you install remote start you need a special module to get around this.thats the key end as for the keyless entry part of it, the transmitter has to be "matched" to your entry system by your dealer. you need to bring in your existing transmiter to them when they program your new key.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      the keys I had made at Alexander Chevrolet-Buick-GMC (they are an AWESOME Dealer;HIGHLY Recommend them to ANY Fellow Aveo Owner!) (Part# 96810823) were a whopping $20 Cut and Out the Door! and that was TWO Keys!

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      the keys I had made at Alexander Chevrolet-Buick-GMC (they are an AWESOME Dealer;HIGHLY Recommend them to ANY Fellow Aveo Owner!) (Part# 96810823) were a whopping $20 Cut and Out the Door! and that was TWO Keys!

That is a standard key for sedans. Thanks for the part number though...I might order a couple to save the embarrassment of the panic button being pressed in my pocket.

Hatchbacks have the alarm remote built in and are well over that price. Canadian cars also have a transponder in the key for the anti-theft system.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      i tried asking the stealership they want $70 for the key, and wanna charge 2 hours labour for their robber mechanic to reporgramm the code in my ignition switch, total comes to $270 sth like that,.
      ok so i said ok go ahead just make a key, dont program it,,, 1 hour later they phone back said they cut the key wrong, and ask if i wanna wait for another couple days to send in another key for dummie to cut again, i said no forget it.

(more about this story to share,,, the stealership i went to they are completely coo-coo but smart charging you money, eg. :$100 for 4 spark plugs, $200 labour to replace spark plugs... coolant flush,,, $300 )