•  

Thread: Coolant temperature range

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Coolant temperature range

I had a coolant flush performed on my 07 last July as it was reaching the 5yr mark. Today I had my car in to a mechanic who said my antifreeze is only able to protect down to -25 degrees Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit). Living in Canada we get extreme heat in the summer and extreme cold in the winter. Just curious as to what's the Dex-cool temperature range. The stuff that came with the vehicle was pink but the dealer flushed and filled with orange fluid.
      In addition, is there something wrong with my vehicle that's causing the temperature range to decrease? The levels are fine so I know it's not leaking. Thanks!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisu91 View Post
      I had a coolant flush performed on my 07 last July as it was reaching the 5yr mark. Today I had my car in to a mechanic who said my antifreeze is only able to protect down to -25 degrees Celsius (-13 Fahrenheit). Living in Canada we get extreme heat in the summer and extreme cold in the winter. Just curious as to what's the Dex-cool temperature range. The stuff that came with the vehicle was pink but the dealer flushed and filled with orange fluid.
      In addition, is there something wrong with my vehicle that's causing the temperature range to decrease? The levels are fine so I know it's not leaking. Thanks!
      Nope, nothing wrong. The concentration of antifreeze is important depending on how cold it might possibly become in your vicinity. The colder it might get in your environment, the more concentrated your antifreeze needs to be for protection against freezing.

Go to an auto parts store and buy an inexpensive antifreeze checker. You use it by sticking it in the radiator (when cool, of course) and sucking some radiator fluid into it. It will tell you to what degree of freezing your antifreeze is effective. If it's not adequate you will need to drain or syphon some fluid out and add more concentrated (undiluted) antifreeze to protect your car from extremely frigid temps. Once you are protected from the lowest possible winter temps of freezing you need not worry about summer heat, as antifreeze/coolant protects you from both.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I feel this might apply to me as well, after i had a hose replaced the temperature has been stuck higher than ever before, i live in texas so its very hot right now and the temperature not being where it was for the first 5 years normally is disturbing, I do not know what kind of coolant exactly they put in it last time but i do know they had to flush it. which would be better for me? cuz if this is just a simple coolant switch i will be happy.