•  

Thread: 2009 Aveo5 LT Air Conditioning Issue

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Aveo5 LT Air Conditioning Issue

Greetings!
      My 2009 Aveo has quit blowing cold air.
      It sounds as if the compressor kicks in but the pressure does not change (High Side Guage) telling me the compressor is not really kicking in.
      I believe the Aveo has a kick off on the AC when you accelerate to give you the added power. It seems this is when the unit quit working.
      It could be the compressor (And that is another issue, odd compressor. No visible clutch. Would love to hear about that as well.)
      My local auto parts store has nothing on the 2009 AC system(Advanced Auto Parts)... Not a relay, nothing... ANY info will be much appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Kramer

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      I would try swapping relays first. Does the heater still work though? Not all too knowledgeable with HVAC systems but heater my blower motor went and there is a tsb out on that. I don't know if the two are related

Thanks
      Heater appears to work. I'm in Florida so the heat almost Always works.
      When you turn the air on I am sure I can hear it ???Engage as always... But no cold/cool air. Blower motor works good.
      I think It quit when I was getting frisky with the car the other night. I was cruising at 55 and a line of traffic in the left lane was doing 52-53 MPH. Right lane was clear, and here on HWY 19 neither lane is designated as a "Passing Lane" so I floored it and zoomed past the first 3 cars arriving side by side with a state trooper... No wonder everyone was such a law abiding citizens. He did not pull me over but drifted behind me. No doubt taking note of my NRA sticker and my Ruger Logo...
      But that's when I think the air quit working.

*What Relay should I swap it with?

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      I generally would swap the high beam or low beam relay. Its easy to tell those are working!

Thanks
      Tried that (Thank You For The Suggestion) and nothing. I can hear the compressor click on when you turn the air on but it blows hot air still and does not draw the pressure down in the high side line. Pressure remains about 110psi.
      Pickles, what's up with that video in your posts? that's scary!

Is it Likely that the expansion valve is bad?
      Last edited by Kramer; 06-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
      Good News, Bad News.

I was reading on the forum about the open recall for the plugs and wires. My car is/was one of them so I took it in today. While I was there they looked into the air conditioning. Turns out the compressor is shot, that's the bad news.
      The good news is I get a compressor installed for $100.00 +tax as well as a New Expansion Valve. Zoinkies!

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      So glad to read that you were able to get the issues taken care of! Please remember that you can let me know if you ever need any assistance or have vehicle questions.

Jackie
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      My AC kinda works except for the fact that it makes my car run really hot and if i use the circulation button ever it just makes me feel like my car will blow up (not really). I can hear a noise and when getting an oil change they mentioned my fan was making a noise and i didnt stop to ask questions because i was freaked out that they had left my car running idling with the ac on. I really havent used the ac much in like 2 years, i just deal with the 100+ degree heat here in texas. but i would like for my car to be running normally. it is paid off and i want to avoid a car payment. I just wanna not sweat on my way to work anymore.