•  

Thread: Codes P161B, P 2110, P 2106

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Codes P161B, P 2110, P 2106

So trying to make a very long story short here. I was in an accident in my 2007 Chevy aveo which did some minor front end damage. After having it at the body shop for a couple of weeks they informed me that the car would not start and I would need to replace the engine. Bull****. Brought the car home and looked it over, the timing belt had jumped about three teeth. After fixing the timing, the car passed a leak down test, and had about 80 psi in each cylinder with compression test. (after reading many forums, i am wondering if this is low because of not pulling fuel pump relay and holding throttle open?) Any way, the car fired right up. After running for a minute or two the car went into limp mode where it will not rev above 3000. Car is running SO rich that plugs go black almost instantly and fuel even came out the exhaust. After replacing throttle body, MAP sensor and O2 sensor, still have the same problem and i am getting codes p161B, P 2110, P 2106. I got frustrated and took it to a GM dealer to diagnose and they have had it for two weeks and say that that the compression is too low causing "what acts like a vacuum leak" .......... and that they want to clean the injectors and that should fix the problem.

How can injectors be related to compression? Is this even in the realm of possible? and how could an accident cause injector problems?

I would appreciate any ideas, I am so beyond lost with whats going on with my poor car.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      I gave the techs here at the shop a quick run down on your problem. Without checking on the codes, their thoughts were that the valve timing is likely off or that your injectors are massively over fueling and washing the cylinder walls so that the rings won't seal. If you are over fueling, your engine oil should stink of gas and be thinned out. If gas is present in the oil, change it before running the car. They think that the fuel regulator may have gotten damaged in the crash. Hope this helps.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Replace your plug wires and have the coil pack tested. And read this thread. http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/0...roblems-11599/

Thanks
      could also be the throttle body

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You had started a previous thread on this same thing 2 months ago, and just dropped out on that one.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/n...51/#post178836
      And prior to that in November, you were asking about putting a 2011 engine into this same vehicle.
      When you bounce around, starting and dropping out of threads, folks like me become far less willing to try to help out. Although you don't sound like a troll, this whole thing seems really weird. Can you at least stay with just one thread so everyone can read what's already been discussed about your problems?

Thanks
      ragamuffin: thats an interesting idea... as soon as we get the car back from the dealer that will be the next thing we check... sounds more promising than anything else..

gothstone: i have already replaced the throttle body and why change the plugs when they are fowling in a matter of minutes.. no misfires etc so i dont think plugs and wires or a coil would have anything to do with it. also i think this is something the dealer may have actually found during their diagnoses.

avguy: didnt realize you are the forum police.... but yes as you can see this issue has been going on for a couple of months now.. when the body shop said the car was blown i started looking for a motor.. found a good deal on a 2011 and when i got my hands in the car, and could make it run, i didnt think i needed to post about doing an engine swap anymore. Same thing with a timing issue... why post about a timing issue when its perfectly timed.. so each time i have more information and i have better classified my mystery problem... didnt know i was breaking rules.

Thanks
      Picked the car up from the dealer today, turns out they are not so great at communicating. The car did in fact have a vacuum leak which they fixed and the car runs great and no longer fouls plugs.. however we've got some new codes:

P0171, P0172, P2187, P2188

And ABSOLUTELY no power. The car does not go into limp mode as it was before. Runs great at an idle, runs great from about 1-2 rpm then falls on its face from 2-3rpms and runs good again from 3-4rmps. Its the strangest thing. Was able to put in in to first and second gear and drive it home, (about a 15 min drive) but somethings still not right.
      We used a can of seafoam, threw some new plugs in it and check fuel pressure... but still no results...

HELP!

Thanks
      Codes point to faulty MAF. See if the harnes connecting to the air intake tube is damaged or loose. If not try cleaning the maf itself (inside the tube) with electronics cleaner. Could also point to a bad O2 sensor, you could bench test it with a torch. With everything else thats happened, you might try clearing the codes and running the relearn procedure.

P0171 - System Too Lean Bank 1
      Possible causes
      - Intake air leaks
      - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
      - Ignition misfiring
      - Faulty fuel injectors
      - Exhaust gas leaks
      - Incorrect fuel pressure
      - Lack of fuel
      - Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
      - Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1
      Possible causes
      - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
      - Ignition misfiring
      - Faulty fuel injectors
      - Exhaust gas leaks
      - Incorrect fuel pressure

P2187 - System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1

P2188 - System Too Rich At Idle Bank 1
      - Leaking fuel injector or pressure regulator
      - High fuel pressure condition
      - Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor

Thanks
      Am having same codes. to begin with there were a lot more that pointed to other things and am now stuck with 2110 2106 and 161b. replaced ingnition coil, spark plugs/wires, throttle body, and air intake hose. car idles very badly with no response from the gas pedal. but at least now it stays running. before it wouldn't even do that. Please help.

Thanks

Angry I have the same problem with the same codes. What was the problem?????

Can anyone help with this problem. I've tried everything. Could it be a vacuum leak??. What else?