•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car sometimes does not start, Starter Solenoid?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question Car sometimes does not start, Starter Solenoid?

Dear all,

I'm new to this forum and have a small problem that I'm unsure of what it could be.
      I have a 2009 LT Manual transmission Aveo.
      The car has around 37,500 Miles (60,000 KM) and has been running great and still does.
      What it'd done recently (only a couple of times) after driving the car for about 100 miles (160 KM) at highway speeds (65 - 75 MPH) when parking the car for 10-15 minutes, and when trying to start the car again it won't start, you can hear the starter click, but, it won't turn over. I thought it was the battery, but the car has power (jump starting it made no difference). After letting it sit for about 30 more minutes, the car started normally.
      The second time it did it, since the battery possibility was eliminated i thought maybe the inmovilizer was acting up on me, so to prove this we pushed the car and "gear started it", if it were this the car would not start, or start and immediately die, but it didn't, it started and we drove home with no issue, parked it for a few minutes and tried to start it, and it did, it has been starting with no problems ever since, we have not driven it for 100 miles lately.

I believe this could be the starter's solenoid.

Any thoughts?

I found that the solenoid part number is 10520191, the part costs an excess of 100 US and in Mexico an excess of 200 US, I would not like to buy it and have this not be the damaged part.

Your comments and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos

Last edited by vcarlos40; 02-15-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
      Hello to all,

Yesterday night the car did not start again, I experienced the same condition as previously described, the only difference was that this time jump starting it worked, possibly the booster cables used previously were bad. I took it to my mechanic and he tested the battery and found it to be damaged, I'll put in a new one later today. Hopefully this was the problem all along.

I'll post again if I continue to have this issue.

Thanks,

Carlos V.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I was going to suggest testing the battery. But I was also going to say test the starter relay before doing a solenoid.

Thanks
      Thanks,
      I'll drive the car on the highway this weekend and check if the conditions repeats itself (hopefully not) if it does, I'll definitely try the relay first.
      Thanks again for the tip.
      Carlos V.

What's wrong with my car? ApexButcher's Avatar
      Thanks
      Sounds like classic starter solenoid symptoms. If it happens again try bypassing solenoid with screwdriver by shorting the hot stud to the energize terminal. Hopefully the battery fixed it.

Thanks
      Thanks, I will probably know this weekend.
      Carlos

Thanks
      Dear all,

I drove the car quite a lot this weekend (over 200 miles) and has been starting perfectly fine.

I'll post again if any issues were to come up, nevertheless, it does seem like it was the battery all along.

Carlos

Thanks
      I joined this forum to get help with mechanical problems on my 2006 Aveo. I can not afford a good mechanic therefore I must do it all myself. I don't know alot about cars, parts, and mechanical stuff. With that said please bare with me and my questions, take it easy on me.

Yesterday my car wouldn't start, I read this thread because I thought it was a starter problem. I am clueless where the starter is and what it looks like. Now I read about a starter solenoid??? Is there a way know if it is the solenoid or the starter? Where can I find pictures to show me where these parts are? I had a solenoid problem with another car years ago, but cars have changed so much nothing is in the same place or looks the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the starter and solenoid come together, they mount on the same location. on the aveo the starter is behind the engine under the intake, above the axle. you can get it out without taking everything out though.

if your car just wont start, and there where no signs leading up to the no start, it is very possible to be a different problem than the starter itself. i would swap relays first, check battery with a multimeter, to narrow down where there issue comes in.

Thanks
      What are relays?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast