•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car sometimes does not start, Starter Solenoid?

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      They relay power from the battery to the item through the fusebox...hence the name. I had 2 starter relays go on me in a short period of time for no apparent reason. I keep plenty of spares now

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
      What are relays?
      Given that your first post wasn't just some random event, I'll take the time to reply. As noted, you don't know the first thing about car repairs, but everyone on this forum was there at one point in our lives. So you can learn this stuff, just like everyone can. But you can't get it done by asking questions like this on the forum. The web is an INCREDIBLE source of information, and you can get tons of information with just a few keystrokes. If you Google "what is an automotive relay", within minutes you'll get the answer. You can learn a great deal in a fairly short amount of time by doing this. The forum is a resource for answering questions about your vehicle that you're not able to find online, after a reasonable amount of search time (including the forum archive). I'm not saying don't use this forum, but rather to get you onto the right track, if you're really serious about getting into this activity.
      Also be aware that in order to get into auto repair, you will need tools. The best way by far is to buy a large set of quality tools on day 1. But if funds are short, you can buy them one-at-a-time, as you need them. Good luck to you!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thank you for your input avguy. I do have tools as I have done some work on cars in the past. I do a great deal of research online. However when I google "relay" I get alot about realys, but not automotive relays. I don't always think outside the box.

Thank you Pickles, from what you said the relay is the blue square thing next to the battery. Because it looks kinda like a big fuse I thought that is what it is. This will be of help to me.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
      Thank you for your input avguy. I do have tools as I have done some work on cars in the past. I do a great deal of research online. However when I google "relay" I get alot about realys, but not automotive relays. I don't always think outside the box.

Thank you Pickles, from what you said the relay is the blue square thing next to the battery. Because it looks kinda like a big fuse I thought that is what it is. This will be of help to me.
      What you are describing is I believe the splice pack. Relays are generally 1"x1.5" (roughly) rectangular cubes

Thanks
      I replaced my starter with one from a junk jard. Have had no issues since. Hope that fixed the problem. Apparently the one that was on the car was not the original. I have no idea how or when that happened.

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Tapatalk

Thanks
      If your car has a manual transmission I would also check the switch that goes behind the clutch. That if worn will cause a random no start problem.

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Tapatalk

Thanks
      A relay is basically an electrical switch. To put it simply:
      When power is applied to the relay, that power goes to a coil in the relay. When that happens, the internal (switch) is then, (switched). On a separate connection to the relay, power is applied but is just sitting there, with nowhere to go. Until power is applied to the coil, then the “switch” is flipped, making a connection to route the other power applied, to go to where it’s used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12