•  

Thread: Alignment specs

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Alignment specs

ok have now changed, both control arms,front struts,rear shocks and upgraded swaybar links to MOOG, took all tires and rims in to a rim shop had them put onto machine and checked for straightness etc and all rebalanced.

can anyone with a good handling Aveo let me know what their alignment specs are for caster camber and toe both front and back.

I am booked into GM for an alignment Thurs, 1hr labour plus rear shims plus an alignment charge so will be a $ 250.00 total bill and I want to make sure it comes out steering properly. I always thought and has been the case in the past any alignment I have ever had, installing rear shims was included in the cost of the alignment but not now labor to install rear shims is and up charge as well as the cost of the shim itself. An alignment means it gets aligned doesn't it ? I can see ok it needs a shim that will be extra but an hr labor to install the shims to align it plus an alignment charge !

Anyways any specs would be great....front and rear camber would be helpful for sure...caster can't really be changed any.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Here are my results. Local dealer charged $89 for the alignment. It was done after they replaced my control arms, sway bar links and my subframe, for a nice grand total of $1300.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
      thanks chris..my car is on dealers door step. I bought and supplied them with a front camber kit from SPC. Has new front struts, rear shocks all mounts changed, Moog links both sides, and both new control arms this is at 49,000 miles. It has all new tires ( third time ) I inspected the swaybar bushings they look ok but I ordered the revised ones today and will put them in later (they don't affect alignment). I previously installed new rotors/brakes pads front and had the tires balanced and the rims checked for trueness. So it's as good as it is ever going to be. The rear pass tire was out of spec from new, toed out to much so I will get that shimmed now and the other side as well if it needs it. I also installed stainless steel screws in the rotors and drums, given at 3 years of age half of the ones that were in there stripped coming out (made of butter I think)..I ordered a box of hex head stainless screws special order they were $ 35.00 bucks for a box of 50. I also tested power steering control valves, all wheel bearings and the rear brakes..BTW I did not see an inspection plug on the rearbrake backing plate to undo the selfadjuster...this could be a problem once the brakes are worn a little.

I did have a set of KYB shocks put into the rear, but I took them out an put in Monroe sensatracs, it seemed to me the KYB's were a touch solid and gave the back end a little too much stiffness..

I also measured ride height at all four positions, seem to be about 9 inches from ground to first piece of the car body...8.5 to 9.75 which is pretty good given the ground wasn't all that smooth.

THANK GOODNESS MONROE/MOOG have lifetime warranties !!! TOO BAD GM DOESN'T STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCTS LIKE THOSE GUYS DO.

Thanks for the specs, the big question I have for you is DOES IT ACTUALLY STEER GOOD NOW ? When I left mine at the dealer the steering wheel was so off center it was kinda scary !!!!
      Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-09-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks
      ok these are my specs from today...both rear wheels shimmed. They did not install the SPC camber kit....going on a trip will see how it handles....but tire wear will tell the story. WHY did they replace your sub frame ?

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-10-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
      WHY did they replace your sub frame ?
      Here is what they typed on the work order: "During test drive noticed clunk in front end. Found both front stabilizer bushings separated sitting on frame; unable to remove bolts seized. And control arm bolts broken, replace subframe and both front control arms"

Plus I got a "free" two day rental of a nice 2012 Chevy Cruze.
      Last edited by chrisu91; 08-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
      holy cow! at around 7000 KM ours got that clunk in the front end and it was like you were driving on water...I wasn't home I told wife to take it in and all that we heard was "some bolts fell out" and they took a few weeks to get. When I did these control arms the other day I was able to figure out what bolt had fallen out...and I do believe it was a sub frame bolt...if that's what the control arms get bolted to. It however never steered the same again so we took it back again and that's when the figured out the back axle was bent so they replaced that took over a month....and it came back exactly the same way could not keep it on the road...we actually parked it for a long while brand new car LOL everyone was afraid to drive it ! Kinda reminded me of the old Corvair....and the newspaper headlines it made " UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED" LOL

2009 CORVEO kinda has a ring 2 it I think
      Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-12-2012 at 03:42 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      New user here. Just bought a 2008 Aveo and had a wheel alignment done. After the alignment the rear passenger wheel was the only one out of factory spec. The toe was measured at -0.25 degrees. The rear driver wheel was within spec at -0.05 degrees. Thrust angle was at -0.30 degrees.

Is the toe angle of the rear passenger out of spec enough I should think about shimming it to bring it back within spec or is the tire wear on that side going to be minimal? I appreciate the forum members input and thoughts. I usually rotate the tires regularly. Thanks.