•  

Thread: 2009 aveo rattle noise on cold startup

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 aveo rattle noise on cold startup

my 09 aveo rattles for a few seconds after sitting overnight. If I start it after about 5 hours max, its quiet. Florida weather, so I think its time sitting rather then temp. Its sounds to me like the oil pump is loosing its prime? My info.. I'm a mechanic for 42 years and just about to retire. But I'm hoping some gurus out there can give me their input. Here is the car history, bought this from A customer due to timing belt gone and valve going through the piston. UGH. so 4 new auto7 pistons,rings, reman head from Texas, timing kit,head bolts,seals,gaskets,etc. car runs great, but I'm concerned about the noise. swung back the a/c compressor and checked the oil check valve. checked ok. Scan data,running shows int and exh phasers in spec. So, to wrap a long post, anybody out there have suggestions? (other than if you've been in the field for that long and can't figure it out,yer in the wrong business LOL) thanks

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jzore View Post
      my 09 aveo rattles for a few seconds after sitting overnight. If I start it after about 5 hours max, its quiet. Florida weather, so I think its time sitting rather then temp. Its sounds to me like the oil pump is loosing its prime? My info.. I'm a mechanic for 42 years and just about to retire. But I'm hoping some gurus out there can give me their input. Here is the car history, bought this from A customer due to timing belt gone and valve going through the piston. UGH. so 4 new auto7 pistons,rings, reman head from Texas, timing kit,head bolts,seals,gaskets,etc. car runs great, but I'm concerned about the noise. swung back the a/c compressor and checked the oil check valve. checked ok. Scan data,running shows int and exh phasers in spec. So, to wrap a long post, anybody out there have suggestions? (other than if you've been in the field for that long and can't figure it out,yer in the wrong business LOL) thanks
      I had the same problem on my 2009. Noise on cold start-up for several seconds. In real cold temps, the noise was real loud and alarming. After weeks of googling, I figured my best bet was to replace the 2 Variable Valve Timing Solenoids/Actuators with new ones. Relatively easy to replace. AC Delco #55567050. Since I replaced them, the noise is gone. You are partially right, when the VVT solenoid/actuators fail, the oil drains out of the camshaft sprockets. Then when you start it cold, there is no oil in them, and they make quite a racket till they refill with oil. At least, that was my problem. Deano

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:

jzore (11-29-2017)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      thanks deano

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      I had the same problem on my 2009. Noise on cold start-up for several seconds. In real cold temps, the noise was real loud and alarming. After weeks of googling, I figured my best bet was to replace the 2 Variable Valve Timing Solenoids/Actuators with new ones. Relatively easy to replace. AC Delco #55567050. Since I replaced them, the noise is gone. You are partially right, when the VVT solenoid/actuators fail, the oil drains out of the camshaft sprockets. Then when you start it cold, there is no oil in them, and they make quite a racket till they refill with oil. At least, that was my problem. Deano
      I had the same problem on my 2009. There are other threads about these solenoids here. But beware - I could not remove them from the block despite using lots of persuasion. I took the car to my mechanic to replace them and he too had difficulty removing them. So realize that they may not come out easily, and be prepared.