•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo, overheated, oil light came on

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2009 Aveo, overheated, oil light came on

Alright guys, I am really starting to hate this car. Already had a wheel bearing replaced at 45k, I am now at 47k and on my way home from picking up some car parts for another car of mine, the car started to overheat.

I pulled the car into a gas station and checked the coolant resevoir. It was empty, so I put more coolant in it. I still had 22 miles til I got home, so I got back to driving. It ran fine for about 5 miles, then it started to overheat a bit again. The gauge was showing just above halfway, which is just a bit higher than normal. Suddenly the gauge shot up to 3/4, then to max, then the car shuts off.

Oil light, check engine light, and brake light come on. I roll the car into a driveway for a golf course. I pop the hood, and the lower radiator hose is swollen, and fluid is spraying from the hose clamp area on the bottom side where I cant see it. I give it 20 minutes with the fans on, and the car finally starts, has severely reduced power, and the check engine/oil lights are still on. I have a tow truck heading to the car to take it to the dealer, what are the odds that the motor is hurt?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I had the same issue with my upper radiator hose on my 2009 at about 80K Miles but it was a slow leak. When I have my timing belt done the lower hose is getting replaced. Sorry to hear this. I have had good luck with my 2009 over all

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tacomafitch View Post
      I had the same issue with my upper radiator hose on my 2009 at about 80K Miles but it was a slow leak. When I have my timing belt done the lower hose is getting replaced. Sorry to hear this. I have had good luck with my 2009 over all
      Well the car is off to the dealer now, I think there was something causing the radiator pipe to swell, not really sure. The thing that worries me is the whole oil light coming on..... That makes it sound like the oil was boiling, which means that the engine was not lubricating properly....

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by longtermproject View Post
      Alright guys, I am really starting to hate this car. Already had a wheel bearing replaced at 45k, I am now at 47k and on my way home from picking up some car parts for another car of mine, the car started to overheat.

I pulled the car into a gas station and checked the coolant resevoir. It was empty, so I put more coolant in it. I still had 22 miles til I got home, so I got back to driving. It ran fine for about 5 miles, then it started to overheat a bit again. The gauge was showing just above halfway, which is just a bit higher than normal. Suddenly the gauge shot up to 3/4, then to max, then the car shuts off.

Oil light, check engine light, and brake light come on. I roll the car into a driveway for a golf course. I pop the hood, and the lower radiator hose is swollen, and fluid is spraying from the hose clamp area on the bottom side where I cant see it. I give it 20 minutes with the fans on, and the car finally starts, has severely reduced power, and the check engine/oil lights are still on. I have a tow truck heading to the car to take it to the dealer, what are the odds that the motor is hurt?
      Hello Longtermproject,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing such frustrations with your 09 Aveo. Please let me take a moment and apologize on behalf of GM for your experience. Hopefully, the dealership will be able to diagnose what's going on and you'll be back in your vehicle in no time. Please let me know how it goes once the work is completed and if you have any additional questions.

Have a good night and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Hello Longtermproject,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing such frustrations with your 09 Aveo. Please let me take a moment and apologize on behalf of GM for your experience. Hopefully, the dealership will be able to diagnose what's going on and you'll be back in your vehicle in no time. Please let me know how it goes once the work is completed and if you have any additional questions.

Have a good night and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Vanessa,

Thank you, I am mostly frustrated due to the fact that the car has low miles and has been in the shop twice now. I am kinda upset at the dealer currently because the car was dropped off this morning, and still hasn't been looked at. I would take my car elsewhere, but I obviously can't drive the car in this condition. This dealership has fought me every step of the way, with a phone call to GM being the only solution. I appreciate the fact that you guys actually monitor for issues like this, definitely makes me trust you more.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      oil's life is not measured in miles or months when heated to temps over 200/210 F it's measured in hours. Synthetic is better but not untouchable. Engine damage is hard to gauge after a heating, if you had good knowledge of the engine before the heating damage is easier to determine. Piston rings lose tension and then subsequently don't produce compression or clear oil off the cylinder walls as they should...a heated engine ran to the point of damage usually will smoke afterwards. Your temp gauge in the absence of water isn't really a reliable source of information given it needs water to measure the temp....no water no measurement....other 'damage' takes a few years to show up, heated seals leak,gaskets fail "head gasket" is prone to damage when heated...microscopic cracks in cylinder heads may produce an engine that "uses" coolant.....not much you can do know get the leak plugged...and see how it goes.

Thanks
      So the dealership called. They stated that the power steering pump was leaking on the hose causing the hose to soften, splitting the lower hose causing the fluid to come out. They recommended replacing both radiator hoses, the thermostat, and the power steering pump. Nothing is covered under warranty. I told them to not touch the car, and I owe them $85 for the inspection. I called GM, and they said the same thing, this is not covered.

The dealer said the pump had been leaking for a while, so my question is, why didnt they catch this when they worked on the car a month ago? Sorry, but at this point, I WILL NEVER BUY GM AGAIN.

Thanks
      So the dealership called. They stated that the power steering pump was leaking on the hose causing the hose to soften, splitting the lower hose causing the fluid to come out. They recommended replacing both radiator hoses, the thermostat, and the power steering pump. Nothing is covered under warranty. I told them to not touch the car, and I owe them $85 for the inspection. I called GM, and they said the same thing, this is not covered.

The dealer said the pump had been leaking for a while, so my question is, why didnt they catch this when they worked on the car a month ago? Sorry, but at this point, I WILL NEVER BUY GM AGAIN.
      Hi Longtermproject,

Sorry to hear this. I'm not making any promises but I will try to see what I can do to assist. Please private message me your last 8-digits of your VIN#, full name and the involved dealership and then we can go from there. Have a good night.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Thanks
      I sent the information you requested via PM

Thanks
      I sent the information you requested via PM

Thank you. I did receive all of the emails and will contact you in a day or two with an update on what I find out.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast