•  

Thread: 2006 Aveo need to replace ignition cylinder but key will not turn

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2006 Aveo need to replace ignition cylinder but key will not turn

A little bit of background, I have a fledgling mobile mechanic service, and this is a client's car. I am not a mechanic but have a good amount of experience turning wrenches, so I figured why not.

So the vehicle is a 2006 Aveo, the initial complaint was that the steering wheel was stuck and wont turn, I have tried all the wheel turning, and key jiggling and just about every combination of that I can think of, and the wheel is still stuck, and the key will not turn. The key comes in and out freely.

It appears to be an aftermarket key, so I have a feeling the ignition cylinder has been changed before.

I am just weighing the options available. The way I see it there are 2:

Option #1 force the removal of the existing ignition cylinder by drilling it out, shoving screwdriver in there, etc. But I must admit I'm not sure what all needs to be drilled out to do that.

My concern with this option is that it doesn't rule out some kind of issue with the ignition lock housing itself, but that could be revisited.

Option #2

Drill out the retainers for the ignition lock housing, and remove the whole thing, replacing with a new lock housing and new lock cylinder at the same time....it appears the new lock housing has threaded holes, does anyone know what size they are? Are there any sort of security issues with this route? The car does not have keyless entry.

The ignition cylinder would be the cheaper and faster option for both myself and the client, but I don't know how to get it out without being able to turn the key.

I guess I'm just a bit stuck here and looking for some help.

Last edited by littlehoov; 12-10-2023 at 02:36 AM.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Sometimes you may get a good result with making sure the steer wheel has no locking pressure on it and tap the key with a small weight and while turning the key lightly. Three arms may be needed I’d have on hand a new lock cylinder for when you get it to turn. You may not get another chance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eg.h2o For This Useful Post:

littlehoov (12-10-2023)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Yes, I'm starting to think that ordering a new ignition cylinder and then removing the other one by whatever means necessary may be the best option. I was trying to be fairly gentle since it was someone else's car.

I also hated to spray a bunch of lubrication in there to try to get something to move, since it may cause more problems down the road.

So maybe some other suggestions will come to light, but I think some destruction or at least forceful persuasion may be necessary.

Follow up question, some of the sites I have seen parts on mention the need for a scan tool to reprogram? Yet not one video or article I have seen online by an individual has actually used one. They just take the old one out, put the new one in and everything seems to be golden. Is this the case?

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      It depends.
      There were 2 ignition styles. Option 1 has no security system. (Easy replacement). Option 2 has security system (passkey) not plug and play replacement. Needs reprogramming. You get to figure out what you have, and no, they are not interchangeable.