•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 AVEO will not fire on #2,#3 cyl.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      it may need a relearn if you have not gotten it to stop since you messed with the cam sensor.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      So will it have to go to the shop for that?

Thanks
      yes more than likely it will. I will probably have the same thing on the car I am working on now. I have to replace the cam sensor and replace the head on it. So in a couple of weeks if you have not gotten an answer will let you know.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
      So will it have to go to the shop for that?
      So how did this end up? Did you take it to the shop or did you find away to get it to work some other way?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Our 2010 aveo has been dead in the driveway since 6am Christmas Eve 2013. Started running rough the summer of 2012, got error code P303. I changed the plugs and it seemed to go away. The very next summer, same thing, same error code. This time new plugs didn't fix it. Did some research and found a recall on the coil pack. Took it to the dealership and they switched it, and my new plugs out (threw them away with less than 20 miles on them), gave it back running just as bad as before. Long story short, it caused the fuel to run rich and carboned the innards all up and now it won't run at all. This is at 49000 miles, still under warranty, and they won't fix it. Needs new bank 2 O2 sensor and it's seized in. Can't get it out. AND the dealership didn't use anti-seize on the new plugs, cracked 2 on installation, and can't get them out either. Cat converter was completely plugged, cleaned it out like new and reinstalled, but I'm sure it's nasty from that point forward. Dealership and GM are of no help. Any suggestions?

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Just want to clarify a few things - you have officially been denied warranty by the dealer and have called GM's Customer Relations and they too have denied warranty? This car has run rough for almost 2 years except for the past 5 months when it hasn't run at all? How did you arrive at the oxygen sensor diagnosis with a P0303 misfire code? The cat should have been warranty - how did they deny that claim? Please fill us all in.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      yes more than likely it will. I will probably have the same thing on the car I am working on now. I have to replace the cam sensor and replace the head on it. So in a couple of weeks if you have not gotten an answer will let you know.
      I just replaced a cam sensor recently. I just reset my code and it worked no problem. I did not need a relearn.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      I just replaced a cam sensor recently. I just reset my code and it worked no problem. I did not need a relearn.
      Good deal. Glad to hear it was a easy fix and all. I got my head back about a week ago and havent had time to put it back on so this weekend if all goes well I will be working on it. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Mechanicmom View Post
      Our 2010 aveo has been dead in the driveway since 6am Christmas Eve 2013. Started running rough the summer of 2012, got error code P303. I changed the plugs and it seemed to go away. The very next summer, same thing, same error code. This time new plugs didn't fix it. Did some research and found a recall on the coil pack. Took it to the dealership and they switched it, and my new plugs out (threw them away with less than 20 miles on them), gave it back running just as bad as before. Long story short, it caused the fuel to run rich and carboned the innards all up and now it won't run at all. This is at 49000 miles, still under warranty, and they won't fix it. Needs new bank 2 O2 sensor and it's seized in. Can't get it out. AND the dealership didn't use anti-seize on the new plugs, cracked 2 on installation, and can't get them out either. Cat converter was completely plugged, cleaned it out like new and reinstalled, but I'm sure it's nasty from that point forward. Dealership and GM are of no help. Any suggestions?
      I googled that code (P0303) and this is what was found. This site is for OBD-II codes and it is a #3 cylinder misfire

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
      If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

So it is a systematic find. If you eliminated all the inexpensive faults, then choice your poison wisely. My mechanic that did my head said that some heads have seats that drop and this will cause the air to back feed through the breather and will cause the same problem. Not sure how they cleaned that catalytic converter but just cleaning the top will not cure anything and I would suggest that you take it to another dealer and let them do the warranty work but if you can't then I would certainly call GM and make a complaint and get them involved in the deal.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      Good deal. Glad to hear it was a easy fix and all. I got my head back about a week ago and havent had time to put it back on so this weekend if all goes well I will be working on it. Thanks for keeping us updated.
      Wrong person. Kirk started the original thread. I just was offering my experience as in "what happen". It would be nice to know if he got his car fixed or not.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast