•  
    Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: solved poor aveo fuel economy

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Indeed, besides the battery's and such, you still have to produce the power needed for the cars, and roughly 50% of the power produced in the US is coal power and a decent percentage in natural gas as well (may be more efficient in the long run, but still not 100% green). I just took a course on all of this stuff haha, I just get pissed off when Nissan shows their commercials about the leaf saving polar bears and shutting down gas stations, it is a load of $%%$. I think the way to go green is to build a car with the ability to capture all of the carbon that is released from emissions and is able to store it, along with increasing MPG's as high as they can go. It may be cheaper after a while in the electric car, but polar bears will still die anyways :0

Though on the other hand, the cleaner the air gets, the warmer it gets in theory (less reflective substances in the atmosphere to reflect the heat from the sun). Everyone wants to get all of the "bad" substances out of the air, but they do not want to sweat their asses off when they are gone

The only thing that would scare me on an electric car is the cost of the battery's, they must cost more than the car You have no choice but to go to the dealer and buy them/have them installed, the bill would scare me to death along with the poor polar bears lmao

What's wrong with my car? Lefty's Avatar
      Thanks
      For whoever it was that asked, I traded in the 04 Aveo5 stick shift for the 08 Auto loaded with AC. I drive too fast and use the AC all summer so I am not disappointed by 24-25 avg Miles per gallon. I am hoping to see another 1 or 2 Mpg when I install the CAI, underdrive pulley, timing belt, plugs and wires, and the use of non ethanol fuel.
      2008 Aveo5 LT Stock

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Its interesting that oil is at $87 a barrel and yet gas is about $4 a gallon. In 2008 oil was about $147 a barrel and gas was $4 about gallon. Anyone else notice that when oil goes up the cost per gallon goes up quickly as "a result" but it never really comes back down. Its also interesting to hear reports of studies that say that $4 a gallon seams to be the breaking point for people where they will drastically change their habits/life to reduce their gas purchase. Anyway the reason I want one is I believe they will over all produce less pollution, which is nice, and will be more insulated from the rising cost of gas, my main reason. I am in Illinois now and there is a coal powered plant nearby, yet in oregon my previous state there was so much rain last winter that they had to shut down some of the power plants because hydro was producing way more than they could even use.
      Last edited by bjorkmae; 08-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I was thinking about that the other day as well, oil dropped off big time but gas prices have stuck around where they have been. Compared to a couple of years ago, I could understand a steady price increase over time due to demand (places like China are burning through more and more energy overall) but the fact that those prices have not moved an inch is a joke. I do not drive very much, maybe 200 miles at the very most a month so it does not really matter to me, but for others that drive hundreds of miles a week, that is bad.

Lefty, if you drove slower you could get 29-29mpg easy But I know how that is haha, you should see an improvement with what you listed though.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I personally dont think new cars, nor electric is the way to go, cars from the late 80 early 90 were much much lighter, and still "Safe" they could be bought cheap, driven hypermiled in order be driven cheap, etc. Even electric versions of these cars with newer technology would be better than converting a heavier new car.

ideally, my friend built a vw beetle from the 60s. he converted the engine to run on two cylinder, and got 60-70 mpg. He didnt even go as "light" as he could as he converted using upsized jugs. He changed the gearing in the transmission to keep it quick enough for highway use, as well as get to keep speed on the highway (slow up hills though). And it all cost him less the $3000.

Thanks
      Well I think its cool that he did that, but VW bugs wouldn't be an ideal daily commuter for most people today. Most people today have certain minimum expectations for space, comfort and ammenities and safety that a bug can't provide. Although it does sound like a nice bug. Any chance you could post some pics? I agree cars from the late 80s and mid 90s were well built and light especially the civics. But it is the safety issue that you mention why cars of the same class and size are heavier now. Its not that the cars from the late 80s and mid 90s were unsafe but that the safety standards have increased. Thats part of the reason the "belt line" of cars has increased, to meet newer safety standards. The belt line is the level off of the ground at which the sheet metal transitions to glass for the side windows. I personally don't like the look of the increased belt lines nor the reduced visibility they produce. Plus its annoying that I can't comfortably put my arm on the edge of the door with the windows open. Want an example of this compare the 2012 civics to the mid 90s civics. If it wasn't for the fact that my car has low miles, 59k, or the fact that it is in mint condition, without a scratch or dent and a perfect interior, hadn't had all required maintenance just done I would sell it and buy a 95 to 2000 civic 4 door 5 speed. But most of those car are well worn by now and have faded paint, dents, some rust and would probably need a lot of catch up maintenance. Sadly they would be quicker than my aveo, get better mpg and be more reliable with ultimately better resale.

Thanks
      ive got a 2009 auto aveo ls sedan. ive been averaging about 17 mpg, and i dont drive it hard. wtf is wrong with my car?!

Thanks
      What is your normal commute like?

Thanks
      they're all city miles, normally without air conditioning, but i still think that 17 is a pretty low number.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by barbarianbug View Post
      they're all city miles, normally without air conditioning, but i still think that 17 is a pretty low number.
      Try inflating your tires to at least 38 & run a few tanks of high octane with some fuel cleaner (Techron works well - there are a couple others that do a pretty decent job)

Change your air filter & if you can, change your spark plugs too - you can put the cheapies in (copper) if that's all you want but you can also put irideum in (debateable if it affects mileage any better than the copper but they last longer)

That should easily take you to the mid 20's maybe closer to 30 if your lucky

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast